Department of Philosophy & Religious Studies
What can a degree in philosophy do for you?
See skills for any profession, for financial success, and for admissions tests here.
Critical Thinking Skills
· Deductive reasoning
· Evidence evaluation
· Curiosity and creativity
· Understanding both differences between and relation of specific and general ideas.
· Identification, analysis, and evaluation of arguments
Leadership and Administrative Skills
· Ability to organize concepts and textual evidence
· Sharpened understanding of diverse points of view.
· Conflict resolution
· Ability to work in teams
· Learning to criticize others in a productive manner.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
· Balanced skill of passionate and dispassionate dialogue
· Sharpened professional writing skills.
· Oral presentations
· Ability to communicate across differences
· Accepting critical feedback
· Ability to use scholarly search engines
· Ability to cite sources
· Ability to evaluate the strength of sources
· Ability to avoid plagiarism
Skills in Assessing Values
· Learning multiple ways to navigate morally problematic situations
· Learning the relationship between culture and values
· Close reading of texts
· The Socratic method
· Understanding symbolic logic
· Increased philosophical vocabulary