Skip to Content

Office of Summer Session, Winter Session & Special Programs

Frequently Asked Questions

summer session banner with the words summer session at morgan

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT BILLING: If you have registered for a Summer Session course and no longer wish to attend that course, you must drop the course prior to the first day classes (of that particular Summer Session) in order to avoid tuition and fees charges. Please familiarize yourself with Morgan State University's academic policies related to withdrawal as published in the Undergraduate Catalog. In particular, note that: Students are advised that discontinued attendance does not constitute dropping or withdrawing from a class. Failure to report for any class that appears on students' schedules may result in a grade of "NA" or "F". In either case, the financial charges apply.

Can non-degree or "visiting" students take summer classes at Morgan State University?

Yes, Non-degree seeking or "visiting" students are eligible to take classes during either or both Summer Session I or II at the undergraduate level (please see the current Academic Calendar for session dates and deadlines). All non-degree or visiting students at the undergraduate level must apply for admission to Morgan State University. For information see this page (Students hoping to enroll in graduate-level courses should contact the Graduate School at or  443-885-3185 for information about the application process for non-degree students.)

Advisory Notices  

Non-degree or visiting students should be advised of the following:

  • Non-degree or visiting students are not eligible for financial aid or Veterans Administration (VA) benefits;
  • International students on F-1 visas are not eligible for admission as non-degree or visiting students unless they have permission from their host institution or are on practical training; and,
  • Non-degree or visiting students who decide to matriculate at Morgan must satisfy all criteria for regular admission.
  • For prerequisite overrides, please contact the Office of Summer Session & Special Programs.

Can high school students take summer classes at Morgan State University?

Yes. High school students should apply for admission as a "visiting" or "non-degree seeking" student following the procedure referenced in the above question and answer.

Are summer courses guaranteed to run?

No. Undergraduate courses with fewer than fifteen (15) students and graduate courses with fewer than six (6) students are subject to cancellation. Please consult with the course instructor and/or email if you have concerns about whether or not your course will be cancelled.

What courses are being offered?

Please see the information on this page.

What online or hybrid courses are being offered?

You can identify online asynchronous classes by the presence of a "W" in their section number.  Flex classes will have a "M" in the section number to signify "Morgan-Flex." "Morgan-Flex" classes are delivered both in person and as online synchronous classes. 

How do I log in to online courses?

Morgan State University uses Canvas as an online learning platform. To access Canvas, go to: and click "Canvas." For "how to" information, students may log on to the Canvas Hub. For 24-hour help with Canvas, students may dial this hotline: 1 (443) 873-0119. Faculty/Staff should dial 1 (443) 687-7595. Note that you will need a Morgan State University username and password in order to use these resources.

I have been admitted to Morgan as an undergraduate student for the upcoming fall semester. May I enroll in courses during the summer?

Yes, but you will have to enroll in the Summer Session as a non-degree student.  Please see this page for instructions.  The credits you earn will be appear on your regular Morgan transcript.  Please confer with a freshman advisor (if you are an incoming freshman) or a transfer advisor (if you are a transfer student) to ensure you select courses relevant to your degree.

I will graduate from Morgan State University before the Summer Session begins.  Am I eligible to enroll in Summer Session classes?

Yes, but you will have to reapply for admission to the University as a non-degree student.  Please refer to this page for information.

When will I receive my bill? When it is due?   

In order to avoid being dropped from classes, you must pay your tuition and fees in full before the first day of classes for the session for which you are registered.  Click here to view a detailed video outlining the five ways to pay your bill: paying online, paying over the phone, paying in person, paying by mail, or third-party agreements. For more detailed information about billing, please contact the Bursar's Office at 443-885-3108 or

How many classes can I take during Summer School?

A student can pursue a maximum of eight (8) credit hours per summer session.  Per the Undergraduate Academic Catalog, "authorization for schedules in excess of eight credits must be secured from the Dean of the school or college in which a student is enrolled."  To request permission to enroll in excess credits, go to the Registrar's website and select "Current Student Service Request Forms" then ""Excess Credit Request" on this page:

When will Summer School begin and end?

For up-to-date information on current and future terms, please see the Registrar's Academic Calendar.

When can I begin registering for Summer School classes?

For past, present, and future academic calendars, please click here.

I am a Morgan undergraduate student and I'm considering taking a course off-campus at another institution during the Summer Session or Winter Session. Can your office assist me with this process?

The Office of the Registrar oversees this process. For more information, go to this website and select "Current Student Service Request Forms" then "Permission to Take Courses Off Campus" or view this YouTube tutorial.