Skip to Content

Office of Summer Session, Winter Session & Special Programs

Academic Policies for Summer Session

summer session banner with the words summer session at morgan

Please review the information in the Academic Catalogs. Important information that may be of interest to Summer Session students is outlined below.

Overrides: Overrides are available from the Chair of the department offering the course. If you need assistance contacting the Chair, please refer to the online list of academic programs, the online faculty directory, or email us for assistance.

Credit Limits: Morgan State students may enroll in a maximum of eight credits per summer session. With the permission of their Dean, students may enroll in more than eight credits.  Excess credit forms signed by your Dean, should be emailed to the Office of Summer Session, Winter Session, and Special Programs (see below for our email address).  Visiting students are limited to eight credits per summer session.

Billing and Withdrawal or Cancellation: If you have registered for a course and no longer wish to attend that course, you must drop the course prior to the ends of the schedule adjustment period (also known as the "add/drop period")  in order to avoid tuition and fees charges. Please familiarize yourself with Morgan State University's academic policies related to withdrawal as published in the Undergraduate Catalog. In particular, note that: Students are advised that discontinued attendance does not constitute dropping or withdrawing from a class. Failure to report for any class that appears on students' schedules may result in a grade of "NA" or "F". In either case, the financial charges apply.

Reinstatement: If your courses have been dropped due to non-payment, you must settle your bill with the Bursar and then request reinstatement by the announced deadlines for reinstatement. The Office of Summer Session does not permit partial reinstatements under any circumstances. Requests for reinstatement after the term has ended will not be considered.

Exception to Enrollment Policies: If you have missed the deadline for withdrawal or cancellation and you wish to withdraw from or cancel a course, you must contact the Office to the Registrar using their "Exception to Enrollment Policy Appeal Form" (available at this link) to petition for an exception to policy. This process is not managed by the Office of Summer Session, Winter Session and Special Programs. Therefore, queries about this process must be directed to

Course Cancellation: Courses that do not meet required minimum enrollment numbers may be subject to cancellation.