Master of Social Work
The Online MSW (OMSW) Program offers the same 60-credit hour program and 30-credit Advanced Standing options as the campus-based MSW program. The program prepares beginning generalist and advanced social work practitioners to practice competently and effectively with urban families, groups, organizations, and communities. The program is committed to the alleviation of human suffering and the improvement of the quality of life for urban residents. Because African Americans make up a substantial percentage of the urban population and are over-represented among urban residents facing unrelenting social and economic problems, the program has a major focus on preparing its graduates to address, systematically and strategically, issues of poverty and socioeconomic disadvantage, interpersonal and community violence, substance abuse, and mental health problems, social injustice, and discrimination. At this time, the Online MSW (OMSW) Program offers areas of specialized practice in Urban Children, Youth, and Families and Addictions.
Advanced Standing Applicants
Advanced standing applicants
- The applicant must meet the admission criteria for the MSW Program;
- The applicant must have graduated from a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) within the last five years. Applicants who are still enrolled in their BSW program should apply following the first semester of their senior year. Acceptance to Advanced Standing would be conditional, pending receipt of final qualifying grades and confirmation of the BSW degree;
- The applicant must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and no grade lower than a B in any Social Work course.
- Complete and submit the general MSW Application through the School of Graduate Studies; Within this application, students who meet the eligibility requirements above should indicate their interest within the Statement of Goals section of the application (i.e., "One of my goals is to be admitted into the Advanced Standing program.");
- Submit an Advanced Standing recommendation form completed by the BSW Chair. Once your application has been submitted, you will need to input the name and email address of the BSW Chair/Director;
- Submit an Advanced Standing recommendation form completed by the BSW Field Education Department. Once your application has been submitted, you will need to input the name and email address of the recommender. The form will need to be completed by one of the following: Director, Assistant Director, Field Liaison, or Field Supervisor;
- Upon receipt of both recommendation forms, and admission into the university, the applicant will receive an email notification to schedule an Advanced Standing Interview;
- Applicants will receive an Advanced Standing determination within two weeks of completing their interview. If it is determined that an applicant is denied for Advanced Standing, the applicant's initial offer to attend the 60-credit program remains.
Access to a personal computer that can connect to the Internet High-speed Internet Camera and speakers may be necessary for some course materials (videos, etc.)
For information regarding deadlines, please see Frequently Asked Questions.
Dr. Dana Burdnell Wilson
Interim MSW Department Chair
1700 E. Cold Spring Lane
Jenkins Behavioral Science Building, Rm. 343
Baltimore, MD 21251