Skip to Content

Master of Social Work

Frequently Asked Questions

My undergraduate degree is not in social work. Am I eligible for admission to the Master of Social Work (MSW) program?

  • Persons with undergraduate degrees in disciplines other than social work are welcome to apply to the MSW program; however it is important for students to acquire information regarding the history, and initial social work practices and processes. Please refer to the MSW handbook to review the additional information regarding the foundation course offerings and requirements.

What are the requirements for admission into the MSW program?

  • Admission into the MSW program requires a 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA; a 2-page written statement detailing your interest in pursuing the MSW degree, background and professional goals; and 3 recommendations (academic or professional). A personal interview may be required. If your undergraduate GPA is 2.5 - 2.9, you may apply to be considered for conditional admission.

How many credit hours is the MSW program and how long does it take to complete?

  • The MSW program requires completion of 60 credit hours; as a full-time student this can be attained within 2 years, as a part-time student the time will be extended depending upon completion of field placement hours.

Can I be part-time and an onlne MSW student?

  • No. Online applicants must complete the full-time, 2 year program track. 

If I am denied acceptance into the Advanced Standing program, can I still complete the 2 year MSW program?

  • Yes. Admittance into the 2 year MSW program is required before acceptance into the Advanced Standing program track can be considered. This means that students denied into the Advanced Standing program, are still eligible to complete the 2 year MSW program track.  

If I apply and am accepted, may I defer my enrollment?

  • You may request an enrollment deferral for one year by submitting a statement to the School of Graduate Studies requesting the deferral and the reasons for the deferral. Approval of a deferral is at the discretion of the Assistant Dean, School of Graduate Studies, and is not guaranteed.

What test scores are required and what are the minimum test score requirements?

  • The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is not required for admission into the MSW program.

I have taken graduate courses in another program, or at another University. May I transfer these credits and use them toward the MSW degree requirements?

  • The MSU School of Social Work will accept a maximum of 9 transfer credits, all of which must come from an accredited MSW program, with a grade of B or better. The courses that are eligible for transfer include: Human Behavior I & II, Research I & II and Social Policy. Field Practicum credits will not be accepted for transfer. Courses taken in other disciplines will not be accepted as required courses or as electives.

How will I finance my education at the School of Social Work?

  • Financial Aid in the School of Social Work can come from a variety of sources. Some departments have training grants offering students full tuition plus a stipend. Through need and merit-based programs, other students are offered grants that range from half to full tuition. To supplement other aid, many students borrow through one or more of the federal educational loan programs and work at part-time jobs at Morgan and in the community. Eligibility for most financial aid requires U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status.

How do I apply for financial aid?

  • Financial Aid applications may be obtained by visiting the Student Financial Services web site or you may call the Office of Student Financial Services at 443-885-3000.

How do I apply to Morgan State University School of Social Work?

  • To apply to the MSW program, one must submit the application, official transcripts, recommendation letters and personal statement to the MSU School of Graduate Studies. Potential students are encouraged to submit application materials online.
  • The School of Graduate Studies may also be reached my mail: 310 McKeldin Center, 1700 E. Cold Spring Lane, Baltimore, MD 21251; Phone: 443-885-3185 / Fax: 443-885-8226.

When is the deadline to apply?

  • The deadline for Early determination applicants is December 15th
    • Determination will be made by January 22nd
  • The deadline for Regular determination is March 1st
    • Determination will be made by April 15th
  • The deadline for Advanced Standing applicants (following notification of admission at the early or regular determination deadline) is March 15th
    • Determination will be made within 2 weeks of scheduled interviews

May I make an appointment to speak with an admissions staff member and to visit the school?

  • Yes! Please contact the Graduate School at 443-885-3185. They are open Monday through Friday 9am to 6pm. To speak with School of Social Work representative or visit the school, please email the School or call 443-885-4608.