Skip to Content

University Memorial Chapel

Chapel History

Where It All Began

The mission of the University Memorial Chapel is best understood against the background of its history. In 1867, a group of dedicated ministers met at Sharp Street Church to establish the Centenary Biblical Institute. The Institute grew, and in time, the curriculum was broadened. In 1890, the name was changed to Morgan College, in honor of a generous benefactor.

In the 1920's the school was moved to its present site. The Morgan trustees, in 1939, decided to sell the college to the State of Maryland. The proceeds from that transaction were earmarked for the construction of a center for religious activities, the Morgan Christian Center, a parsonage, and an endowment. The buildings were erected on a plot of land adjacent to the campus, and were dedicated in 1941.

In August of 2009, the Morgan Christian Center trustees deeded the property to Morgan State University. The Center was renamed the Morgan State University Memorial Chapel, to reflect the diverse religious landscape on campus.

In 2010, the University Memorial Chapel was listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. Also, the United Methodist Commission Archives and History has designated Morgan State University, and the Memorial Chapel, as a historic site.