Skip to Content

Office of Transfer Student Programming

Transfer Student FAQs

How does the University define “transfer student”?

Any student who has attended a two- or four-year school and applies for admission to Morgan State University is considered a transfer student. When you apply to the University you must submit a complete transcript from each institution you have attended previously, whether or not you have earned credits or the school is regionally accredited.

When should I apply to Morgan State University?

To see The Office of Undergraduate Admission and Recruitment dates and deadlines click here.

 apply to the University you will need to fill out the application online at: 
Call 1-800-332-6674 or 443-885-8500 for assistance

Your official transcripts should be forwarded to:

Office of Undergraduate Admission & Recruitment

1700 East Cold Spring Lane

Baltimore, Maryland 21251
Once your application has been accepted by the University, you should receive an e-mail from the Office of Transfer Student Programming giving you next steps and instructions on online transfer student orientation.

What is the Transfer Credit Audit Evaluation form?

The Transfer Credit Audit Evaluation form is a document that is mandatory and must be completed and submitted to The Office of Financial Aid before mid-term.  After classes begin, be sure to schedule an appointment with your adviser, complete the form with the adviser's assistance, make a copy for your records, and submit the original to Financial Aid.  Failure to do so may result in your financial aid being cancelled.  You can obtain a copy of the form my clicking HERE or you may request the form from the Office of Financial Aid. 

What is the process for evaluating my earned credits?

Once admitted to the University, Admissions will forward your transcripts to the Office of the Registrar for evaluation.  Keep in mind that applicability of courses may be subject to re-evaluation if you change your program of study.  The evaluation of courses from other institutions is constantly being reviewed and revised. Most importantly, to ensure your entire academic record is complete, be certain to immediately submit any updated transcripts from your previous institutions to the Office of Undergraduate Admission and Recruitment. Once your evaluation has been completed, you will receive an email from the Registrar's Office, and you may review it in DegreeWorks.

Even more exciting is you have the ability to research how your transfer credits may be applied through the Morgan State University Transfer Evaluation System (TES).  CLICK HERE to check it out.  Remember, this is an unofficial credit evaluation tool, and that the Office of the Registrar will make the final determination concerning your transferable credits.  As you research you will want to compare your MSU catalog curriculum with TES results.  

What if I have a question about a course (or courses) on my transfer credit evaluation? 

You may send your inquiry to Be sure to use your MSU account and provide your student ID number so that we can best assist you. You may be asked to provide additional information like a syllabus or catalog description in order to re-evaluate transferred coursework.

How do I register for classes?

Your acceptance letter will have information allowing you to immediately set up your MSU account. This will give you access to registration, your e-mail and other important information. You should immediately set up your Morgan student e-mail account, pay your confirmation fee, and complete online transfer student orientation.  After you have received notice from the Office of the Registrar that your evaluation of transfer credits is complete, you should make an appointment to see your adviser. Transfer Student Programming will send you information on when class registration will open for you. For general questions on technology (how to view your student account, how to set up your email, etc.) visit Student Technology Services.

Can I transfer even if I am not yet sure about what major to select? 

Yes! Students still unsure about a major can transfer as an undeclared major. Contact Transfer Student Programming at for referrals to resources and departments that will help you define your major and career choices.

Can transfer students be admitted to the Honor's Program? 

Absolutely! For information about the qualifications and potential Honors scholarships, visit the Honors College website.

Will my GPA transfer? 

Your GPA from your previous school(s) will not transfer; however, it is used in determining your eligibility for admission. You must be in good academic standing to be accepted into Morgan State University. If you attended more than one institution, MSU will make a decision based on your combined GPA. Additionally, some majors have a selective policy for admission to their programs. While you may be admissible to the school, the GPA criteria for admission to a particular major may vary. If your transfer GPA does not meet that standard, you may be admitted to the University but you may have to work toward establishing the required GPA at MSU for your major.

How do I know what credits Morgan State University will accept? 

Morgan State University will accept all college-level courses from regionally accredited institutions. The University will typically accept non-remedial and/or non-developmental courses in you have earned grades of "C" or better in all courses required for the major, English 101 and English 102. Students from community colleges may transfer up to a maximum of 70 credits. Students from 4-year institutions of higher education may transfer up to a maximum of 90 credits. You will receive notification once your official evaluation is completed by the Office of the Registrar.

Will Morgan State University accept my military credit? 

Morgan State University awards college credit for basic military training upon presentation of a valid Record of Military Service (DD Form 214). All other eligible credits must be recognized by the American Council on Education (ACE), who recommends appropriate credit hours to be awarded. MSU also accepts Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES), Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript Service (AARTS), Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART), Community College of the Air Force (CCAF), Coast Guard Transcript, et al.   To earn Morgan State University credit, request your military transcripts at "GoArmyEd".

Does MSU accept AP (Advanced Placement), CLEP (College Level Examination Program) or IB (International Baccalaureate) credit? 

Yes! Morgan State awards AP and IB credit. You should have original copies of your scores forwarded to MSU. Contact ETS in Princeton, NJ at 609 771-7300 for more information. For IB credit, request by mail only. You can download the form at to have your "Transcript of Grades" forwarded.

Does MSU accept CLEP credit? 

Definitely! Eligible CLEP credits you have earned will transfer to MSU. You should request that your scores be sent to Morgan State University, school code 5416 by using the CLEP Transcript Request Form.

My credits come from a foreign institution. How are my international credits evaluated?

If you have attended a foreign institution your courses will be evaluated based on an AACRAO (American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers) International Education Services, WES (World Education Services) or ECE (Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.) evaluation.  In addition, Morgan State University will accept evaluations of foreign institutional credits from current member of the NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services).  Contact one of those agencies to request an evaluation of your foreign credits be sent to Morgan State University. Use of English, English language, and English proficiency courses are not transferrable.

Is Morgan State University on the quarter or semester system?

Morgan State University operates on the semester system and grants credits in semester hours. The academic year consists of two semesters, fall and spring. There are also summer and winter sessions.

My school was on a quarter system. How are my transferrable credits calculated?

If you are transferring from a school that is on the quarter system, your quarter-system hours will be converted. A quarter-hour of work equals two-thirds of a semester hour. For example, if you have earned 36 quarter hours, it is the equivalent of 24 semester hours.

5 quarter hours = 3.33 semester hours

4 quarter hours = 2.66 semester hours

3 quarter hours = 2 semester hours

2 quarter hours = 1.33 semester hours

1 quarter hour = 0.66 semester hour
What is the Transfer Credit Audit Evaluation form?

That's a lot to remember.  Is there a simpler road map for all this information and next steps?

Yes!  Just follow the Next Steps Road Map from admission to orientation to registration.  It has links making it easy to follow from beginning to end.  

Rev 11/30/2021