Skip to Content

Office of the Registrar

Degree Works

Degree Works is available for undergraduate students who were initially admitted on or after Fall 2010 and beginning with the 2010-2013 Undergraduate Catalog. Degree Works is also available for graduate students admitted after Fall 2022 and beginning with the Fall 2022 graduate catalog.

Students should log into their Student Self Service/WebSIS account, select Student, and then select Degree Works to access Degree Works. Students who were admitted prior to Fall 2010 or under a catalog prior to the 2010-2013 Catalog should see their advisor for degree audit information.

Degree Works Tutorials

Degree Works Overview

What If Overview

Degree Works FAQs


Q: What is Degree Works?

Degree Works is an online advising tool to help advisors monitor students' progress toward degree completion. Degree Works matches students' coursework (completed, currently enrolled, or registered for in the future) to degree requirements in an easy-to-read worksheet that shows how the courses count toward degree requirements.

Q: Who can use Degree Works?

Degree Works audits are available to all undergraduate degree-seeking students who were initially admitted during or after the Fall 2010 term. If you entered Morgan prior to Fall 2010, contact your academic advisor for degree audit review. Advisors, faculty, and selected staff also have access for the purpose of supporting students' progress through their academic careers.

Q: Can students register for classes in Degree Works?

This is a feature that is planned to be available in the future. 

Q: How current is the information in Degree Works?

The information in Degree Works is refreshed each night. Any changes made today (e.g., grade changes or classes added/dropped) will be seen in Degree Works tomorrow.


Q: What is a Degree Works audit?

A Degree Works audit is a curriculum evaluation separated into different blocks of requirements, such as the general education, major, minor, concentration, and other requirements. Each block within the audit works as a checklist with boxes that are automatically checked when a requirement is met.

Q: What if the information in Degree Works is not up-to-date?

There could be several reasons why information in Degree Works is not up-to-date. One is that Degree Works may not have been refreshed since a change was made (information is refreshed nightly) to a student record. Second, there could be pending paperwork that has not been processed (course substitution, change of major, etc.) If you have recently submitted an academic form, email

Q: Are grades visible in Degree Works?

Yes. Once grades have been posted at the end of the term, they are viewable in Degree Works.

Q: Can students see a list of all of the classes taken?

Yes. On the Audits tab, click on the Academic History link at the top for a list of courses taken at Morgan State University as well as transfer and advanced placement courses.

Q: Can students complete a change of major/minor/concentration through Degree Works?

No. You should submit a Change of Academic Program form, either online or in the Registrar's Office. Instructions are available at

Q: Does Degree Works include AP credit and transfer work?

Once AP scores are received from the College Board and credit is granted, they are posted to the student's record and will appear on the audit.

Q: How do students know what classes to take?

Degree audits will outline courses needed to meet degree, major, minor, and/or concentration requirements within each block. You also can see a consolidated list of courses not yet completed by selecting Registration Checklist from the Worksheets menu. You may then use this information to discuss your plan with your Academic Advisor.

Q: I think the audit is incorrect. What should I do?

 The first step is to clarify what information you believe is wrong. These are the most common problems and courses of action:

The major is wrong on the audit - If you have not officially changed your major, submit a Change of Major form. If the major has been officially changed, the Degree Works audit will display only the active degree audit. If the major change is effective for a future term, the change will not reflect until that term.

The requirements for the major are wrong - Note the Catalog Year that appears on the major requirements block of the audit. According to the official academic record, this is the catalog that students must follow to complete the major requirements. If you believe that you should be using older or newer curriculum requirements, contact your advisor.

Transfer courses do not appear in the right place - If there are concerns about a transfer course that should be applying in the audit, contact your advisor.

Classes are not applying in the right place - Degree Works uses a "best fit" approach to meet requirements, so classes may apply to different sections as you take more courses. If you have further questions, please contact your academic advisor.

An advisor or department chair gave permission to substitute a course, but it's not showing on the audit - Check with the advisor to be sure the proper paperwork has been completed and submitted to the Registrar's Office. Once substitutions are entered by the Registrar and a new audit has been run, the change will appear on the audit.

The minor or concentration is missing from the audit - If you have not officially declared a minor or concentration, you should contact your academic advisor and submit a Change of Major form. If you have already officially declared a minor, the Registrar's Office may still be updating records.

If none of these options address your concern, please contact your advisor.

Q: When should a student/advisor review a degree audit?

- Before registration for an upcoming semester
- After students register to ensure that the courses apply to program requirements
- After grades are posted for each semester
- Any time changes are made to a course schedule or major
- A degree audit can be reviewed at any time; however, it is recommended to do so at least four times a semester.

Q: How is the degree audit different from the official transcript?

The degree audit is a tool to provide students with academic information related to degree progress. It displays courses required and completed in the degree program. The official transcript is an official university academic record and provides a chronological list of courses completed and other academic information.

Q: I've seen the @ symbol in several places on my audit. What does this mean?

This is a wild card in Degree Works. For example, if the @ sign is followed by course numbers (@100:499), it means that you may take a course in any subject area within the specified course number range. In this case, any 100-400 level course in any subject area is allowed.

Q. I've seen the * symbol in several places on my audit. What does this mean?

This means the course has prerequisites. To find the prerequisites for the class, click on the course and a separate window will pop up.

Q: Who should I contact if I still have questions or disagree with the audit?

Please contact your academic advisor or Chairperson.


Q: I am thinking of changing my major. How can I see what would be required if I made this change?

You can use the "What-If" option on the Audits tab to create an audit based on requirements for the program of interest. Be sure to select a College, Degree, Catalog term and Major along with any corresponding Minors or Concentrations. What-If audits do not guarantee that students will be able to major in the area selected.

Q: Can advisors see the What-If audit?

Since What-If audits are not stored in Degree Works, advisors can only see the results if the student and advisor work through a What-If procedure together. What-If audits can be printed and shown to advisors, chairs, and deans.

Degree Works Help

Please contact your department or Chairperson with any audit-related questions or concerns.