Morgan State University, a Carnegie-classified Doctoral Universities: High Research Activity (R2) in northeast Baltimore city, invites inquiries, nominations and applications for the position of Dean, School of Architecture + Planning (SA+P). Dean Mary Anne Akers, the school's first dean, led the school for 14 years to become the outstanding and vibrant community that it is today. Through excellent vision, organizational management, fundraising and community- building efforts this well-established enterprise is ready to move to the next level. The next dean inherits a faculty and staff committed to the pursuit of excellence, a portfolio of well-established programs for student success and a culture reflective of such accomplishments. SA+P leverages an interdisciplinary approach to design thinking for smart city, sustainable built environments, urban competitiveness and resilience, for example.
Reporting to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, the dean works collaboratively with deans from two colleges and eight schools to meet the mission of Morgan State University.
The Dean is responsible for creating and sustaining a positive, mission-driven, student-ready culture and climate to support the success of SA+P students and the performance of SA+P faculty and staff; oversee strategic planning, operations, student success initiatives, scheduling, community outreach, budget, and personnel. The Dean will lead and sustain the growth of enrollment and programs (e.g., graduations, licensure pass rates); will represent SA+P and the University at key stakeholder meetings and public engagements while building local community connections, partnerships, and relationships that advance SA+P. As part of University leadership, the Dean will participate in university-wide activities, initiatives, and projects that advance Morgan State University's strategic goals and mission. Individuals who are interested in this opportunity must have impeccable integrity and must be able to provide references from all previous employers.
- Lead program development and expansion; continue to develop undergraduate and graduate programs; lead SA+P to the next level in looking at the built environment holistically and contribute to Morgan State University fulfilling its goal to be a research 1 institution;
- Lead and engage in review and synergistic curriculum development;
- Lead a shared visioning process and expand SA+’s footprint on campus, in the city, and globally;
- Lead all activities to maintain accreditation and seek initial accreditation for interior design and construction management;
- Understand, establish and maintain the balance between research and professional programs;
- Lead, manage, and assess the administrative and programmatic structures and ensure that operational collaborations, internally and externally, are efficient;
- The dean must understand the companionship and effectively promote and advocate for SA+P in S.T.E.A.M. and keep them relevant to one another. Demonstrate innovating thinking routed in interdisciplinary approaches to design thinking and all of the disciplines that give rise to architecture and design on a foundation of equity and cultural competence;
- Lead the effort to establish and expand relationships with regional construction management companies, business, government and nonprofits; leveraging those relationships for fundraising opportunities, internships, scholarships, etc.; and
- Understanding and leveraging SA+P’s connection to the City of Baltimore and elevating the visibility of SA+P regionally, nationally and internationally.
Education, Skills and Qualifications
- An earned terminal degree (Ph.D. preferred) with a record of academic accomplishments sufficient for an appointment at the rank of full professor
- Evidence of professional accomplishments such as licensure in architecture, landscape architecture, interior design or certification in planning
- A minimum of five years of post-secondary teaching experience
- Minimum of five years of experience in senior-level administration
- Track record of resource development and achievements (e.g., fundraising, partnerships, grants, contracts)
- Fiscal and management skills with strong organizational and interpersonal qualities to maintain and grow SA+P faculty, staff, students, research, community programs, facilities and technology
- Commitment to developing strategic partnerships with industry
- Substantial knowledge and experience in the functional areas of architecture and planning;
- Strong collaborator, with ability to create more collaborative opportunities within and beyond SA+P and network with other schools, colleges, community and professional organizations’;
- Experienced administrative manager with strong strategic planning and organizational development skills;
- Advocate for architecture and urban planning;
- Experience building a research enterprise;
- Grants management;
- Fundraiser; and
- Strong interpersonal skills including deep listening skills and understands the power in collaboration needed to engender respect of faculty and get others to follow the emerging vision of the school in the next era.
The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience
How to Apply
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, LLC. is assisting Morgan State University in this search. Applications and nominations are now being accepted. For a full application package, please submit a cover letter, CV, and list of five references. Confidential inquiries, nominations and application materials should be directed to Greenwood/Asher and Associates. Submission of application materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged. The search will be conducted with a commitment of confidentiality for candidates until finalists are selected. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made.
Please direct inquiries, nominations, and application materials to:
Marion Frenche, Practice Leader for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Search Manager & Senior Executive Search Consultant
MSU is an equal opportunity employer