Skip to Content

Office of Undergraduate Admission & Recruitment

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How can I defer my admission?
You may defer your admission for up to two (2) semesters. Please use the Admissions Confirmation Form to notify the admissions office of your deferment. You must submit a new application for the semester in which you would like to enroll by the appropriate deadline. You must also submit an updated affidavit of support and bank statements. You will not be allowed to enroll for a different term unless you submit an application for that semester. 

2. If I take English Composition 101 or 102 at a U.S. college or university, do I still have to meet the IELTS or TOEFL requirement?
Yes. See question five (5) for more information on transferring to Morgan from another U.S. institution.

3. When will I receive my I-20?
Your I-20 will be processed and mailed to your address on file once we have received and evaluated all of your required application materials. You must submit all required documentation by the appropriate application deadline in order to receive an I-20 in time to enroll in classes. Your I-20 will be mailed to the address listed on your application. Unfortunately, we can not send out duplicate copies of the I-20. Please ensure that the address listed on your application is correct. 

4. My visa was denied at the visa interview. Is there anything the University can do?
Unfortunately, the University cannot do anything to assist you in the visa interview. We would encourage you to try again. If you are unable to obtain a student visa in time for the semester you were admitted, you may defer your admission for up to two semesters. Please refer to question one (1) for instructions on how to defer your admission.

5. I am transferring from another U.S. university or college. Do I still need to submit IELTS or TOEFL results?
If you have 24 or more transferable credits from a regionally accredited U.S. institution you are not required to submit English language proficiency results. If you have less than 24 transferable credits, then you must submit IELTS or TOEFL results along with your secondary school record or exam. 

6. Should the affidavit of support be a form or a letter?
The affidavit of support can be submitted as either a form or a letter.

7. I sent my application materials last week, have you received them?
The Office of Undergraduate Admission and Recruitment receives and processes hundreds of applications each day! Therefore, we are not able to verify that we have received your application materials until they have been processed in our office. We process applications in the order that they are received and the application processing time frame is between four (4) to six (6) weeks. Please be sure to submit a complete application by the appropriate deadline to ensure that you are able to enroll for the desired semester.

We cannot guarantee that applications or application materials received after the appropriate deadline will be processed in time for the applicant to receive an admission decision and/or I-20 for the desired semester.

8. Am I allowed to apply as a freshman if I have completed credits at a college or university in my home country?
No. You must apply as a transfer student and provide evaluated transcripts from all non-U.S. institutions attended.

9. Should I send photocopies of my certificates or awards?
No. We do not evaluate certificates or awards. 

10. How will I know if my application has been submitted and received?
Once you have completed the online application, you will will receive an e-mail confirmation. You will not receive a conformation for an application or materials mailed or dropped off to the admissions office. Please see question seven (7) for information on processing times. 

11. Can I apply for the summer or winter terms?
Yes. You may only enroll in the winter term is you have already been admitted for the spring term. You may only enroll in the summer term if you have already been admitted for the fall term. Please see question 17 regarding visiting students enrolling in summer classes.

12. Can international students receive honors scholarships?
Yes! In order to be considered for an honors scholarship the applicant must submit SAT or ACT results along with the other required academic documentation. There is no separate application for honors scholarship as students are automatically considered for them at time of admission.

13. I have applied for a green card (I-551). Am I still considered an international student?
Yes. You are still considered an international student until you have the green card, and can send us a copy of the front and back.

14. Do you have partnerships with recruiters or consultants from agencies in my country?
No. Morgan State University does not have relationships with recruiting agencies overseas or domestically and we are not interested in those pursuing relationships at this time.

15. How many classes must I take?
An F-1 international student must enroll in and maintain a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester as required by USCIS rules and regulations.

16. May I work if I am an F-1 student?
USCIS allows international students to work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week.

17. Can I take classes at Morgan during the summer to then transfer back to the college/university that I am currently attending in the U.S.?
Yes. You must have the Designated School Official (DSO) fill out and sign a permission form detailing what classes you are approved to take at Morgan State.

18. Do I need an affidavit of support and bank statement if I will be staying with family/friends/etc. while I complete my studies at Morgan?
Yes. Have the person(s) you will be living with complete the I-134 and provide an official bank statement. The 1-134 form must be notarized.