Department of Mathematics
Welcome to the Department of Mathematics!
Our department has programs leading to the degrees of:
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Mathematics
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Actuarial Science
- Master of Arts (M.A.) in Mathematics
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Industrial and Computational Mathematics (ICM)
Currently, Morgan is the only Historical Black College and University (HBCU) in the nation and the only institution of higher education in the state of Maryland that offers the B.S. degree in Actuarial Science. Also, Morgan is one of the only three HBCUs in the nation that offers a Ph.D. degree in the mathematical sciences. Undergraduate Math majors with a concentration in Mathematics Education may obtain a Masters of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) degree through the School of Education and Urban Studies (Dual B.S. /B.A. + M.A.T. Program). Thus, our department is well positioned to make contributions to the critical needs of the nation by helping to increase the number of underrepresented minorities obtaining degrees in the mathematical sciences.
1. We would like to give special recognition to the donors for the 2021 Math Reunion. Click here for further details.
2. The Department of Mathematics is offering a Math Proficiency Exam on May 7th. Students must register by May 1st. Students must also meet the criteria before registering. Students may register by completing this FORM by May 1st. Please Click here to view the times of this exam and more details.
3. The 37th Willie B. Rajanna Memorial Lecture and Awards Ceremony will be virtually held on Thursday, April 28th, 11am-12:50pm EST. Guest Lecturer: Dr. Roni Ellington. Click here for more details of this event. Please Click here for the Zoom link.
4. The Department of Mathematics is hiring two (2) positions for tenure-track Assistant/Associate Professor. Empashis in Actuarial Science. Click here for more details and to apply.
Dr. Asamoah Nkwanta
Graduate Program Coordinator:
Dr. Xuming Xie
Carnegie Rm 251, 1700 E. Cold Spring Lane
Baltimore, MD 21251
Phone: (443) 885-3964
Fax: (443) 885-8216