Skip to Content

Office of Summer Session, Winter Session & Special Programs

Independent Study

Morgan State is dedicated to providing students with alternative options to earn credits toward their degrees.  Students are responsible for designing, implementing, and completing their coursework. Independent study offers a unique and flexible variation of a traditional class structure. Students are able to work from anywhere at their own pace within the limits set by the course instructor. 


Per the undergraduate catalog:

Students who petition independent study courses must be juniors with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 and are allowed to take no more than two (2) courses independently during a semester. If a failing grade is received in any course, that course may not be repeated as independent study.  All students pursuing independent study classes must receive approval from the chairperson and the dean of the requested course. (p. 54).

Note that some Schools and Colleges have additional eligibility requirements. Please refer to the undergraduate catalog for details.


You may watch the below instructional video for step-by-step directions.

  1. Please click this link to read the following instructions. Do not attempt to complete the form without reading the full instructions.
  2. After reading the instructions, you may click through to the new online Independent Study Petition Form by following the link at the bottom of the instruction page

You will need to know the following information in order to complete the form: your student I.D. number, your classification (e.g., junior or senior), your major, your G.P.A., the course name and code--for example, "ENGL 333: Playwriting," the semester and year of the proposed independent study, your instructor's name, and the days and times you will meet with the professor. These meeting days and times may not conflict with other courses on your schedule or other courses the instructor is teaching.

Failure to include your complete name or the complete course information (for example: writing "333" instead of "ENGL 333") will result in the rejection of your petition.

A Note to Graduate Students

Note that this petition form is for use by undergraduate students or graduate students enrolling in undergraduate-level classes (for example, foreign language classes).  Graduate students wishing to enroll in graduate-level classes should contact Assoc. Dean Paul Voos by email ( to discuss the Graduate School's procedures for independent study.