Skip to Content

Office of the Comptroller

Working Fund

The Working Fund is administered to provide limited payments for small emergency purchases, research funds, travel expenses and salary advances to employees who did not receive their paycheck in a timely manner. This function is located in the Tyler Hall Building Room 407C. All Working Fund disbursements are processed based on the availability of funds.

Emergency Purchases

Purchases of this nature are reserved for rare occasions in which circumstances could significantly affect the daily operation of the University, if the purchase is not made. All emergency purchase requests are evaluated on a case by case basis and must be made on the 'Morgan State University Request for Emergency Disbursement' form. Emergency disbursements will only be considered if the vendor will not accept a purchase order or purchasing card.

Research Funds

This section provides guidance for the authorization, establishment and replenishment of Working Fund Research Funds including appropriate uses and security standards. These funds may be used for small-dollar amount vendor payments and/ or incentive payments to complete research surveys with the approval of the principle investigator. Each individual, school, and department who requests and/or administers Working Fund cash advances should review and understand his/ her custodial responsibilities for managing the research funds. Review the MSU Working Fund Research Custodian Agreement for additional information. To request research advance funds use the following forms provided below.

Salary Advances

Please contact the Payroll Office regarding qualifications for salary advances. Once a salary advance is approved, the Working Fund  staff will notify the recipient (employee) when the advance check will be available on the 2nd floor of Tyler Hall at the Bursar's cashier window. On most occasions, salary advances are deducted from the employee's payroll check. If the salary advance was not deducted from the paycheck, the employee will be contacted for repayment arrangements. The Payroll department can be contacted at 443-885-3026 or email at

Travel Advances

Travel advances are considered upon receipt of an approved Individual Request for Approval of Out-of-State Travel (Comp01) with a checked Travel Advance box at the top right-hand corner the form. The completed and signed Individual Request for Approval of Out-of-State Travel (Comp01) form is submitted to the Comptroller's Office General Accounting section for approval. Employees should process authorized registration fees and lodging expenses through a purchase order or a University purchasing card, thereby minimizing the amount of advance necessary.

All employees are required to make common carrier travel arrangements through the University's designated travel agency. Advances will not be given for airplane or train tickets. The travel advance check will be available up to 3 business days before the departure date. Employees incurring authorized travel expenses must submit a State of Maryland Expense Account Form (GAD X-5) to the Comptroller's Office within five days subsequent to the last day of the trip. Original receipts, supporting the reimbursement request, must be attached to the completed and signed original GAD-X-5 form. Please see the Travel section for additional information and access to forms on the Comptroller's Forms section. Also, please note that if costs are not clearly identified/ explained on the form, travel advances will not exceed $100.