Office of Technology Transfer and Intellectual Property
The MSU Office of Technology Transfer (OTT), established within the Division of Research and Economic Development, safeguards the interests of the University and its personnel in matters relating to intellectual property and technology transfer. The OTT is responsible for the recording of Intellectual Property Disclosures, the assessment, marketing, and licensing of University Intellectual Property, the protection of Intellectual Property (IP) - including filing Patent Applications - and assuring the proper allocation and distribution of related revenue. As an office within the Division of Research and Economic Development, OTT models itself based on best practices in US Research Universities and supports the D-RED's Mission to "Create a research ecosystem which promotes and incentivizes innovation and entrepreneurship among faculty, students, and our surrounding community."
"Facilitate the transfer of university technology and innovation to business and industry, foster local economic development and provide benefit to the public."
"An urban university where: faculty and staff are recognized and rewarded for innovation, are well informed and actively engaged; a spectrum of new technologies are transferred to existing and new businesses to benefit the public; and the University's contributions to economic development and quality of life have a positive, measured and documented impact."
Major Goals and Tasks
The D-RED Technology Transfer Team has established four major goals to support the OTT mission statement. Achieving these goals, in support of the mission, will facilitate achieving the OTT overall vision. These goals are: In-Reach; Technology Licensing; Economic Development; and Best Practices. Under each of the goals listed below, is a list of major tasks. These tasks are an "action list" that will guide the activities of the OTT in the startup, growth and maturity phases of the office.
IN REACH: CAMPUS INNOVATION PROGRAMS
- Generate expansive department participation in identifying and disclosing MSU inventions and intellectual property
- Establish MSU innovation recognition and reward programs and influence employee retention and satisfaction via positive participation in the technology transfer process
- Be the recognized MSU technology transfer point of contact for faculty, students and staff; and the external community
- Inform university stakeholders on the successes and benefits of technology transfer
TECHNOLOGY LICENSING: TECHNOLOGY PUSH AND MARKET PULL
- Aggressively market MSU innovations to potential licensees and entrepreneurs (Technology Push)
- Create and implement a dynamic marketing plan for MSU technology innovations focused on industry needs (Market Pull)
- Match MSU capabilities to industry needs to create synergistic R&D partnerships (Tech Push/Market Pull)
- Promote the high quality of innovations at MSU
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT: BENEFIT TO THE COMMUNITY, REGION AND STATE
- Develop technology transfer models that produce symbiotic benefits for local, regional and State stakeholders
- Impact local, regional and State economies through licensing, startup companies and creation of jobs
- Inform local, regional and State stakeholders on the successes and benefits of MSU innovations and technology transfer
- Partner with other economic development organizations to facilitate and expedite the transfer of MSU innovations to provide benefit to the public
BEST PRACTICES: MANAGEMENT OF UNIVERSITY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
- Establish and manage the MSU Technology Transfer program based on best practices at US Universities
- Hire, train, retain qualified technology transfer staff
- Develop and implement data tracking systems to manage MSU innovations, inform stakeholders of technology transfer performance and provide transparency
- Minimize risk by implementing best practices for Intellectual Property and Conflict of Interest Policies as executed in exemplar research institutions
Office of Technology Transfer
Earl S. Richardson Library, Suite 207
1700 E. Cold Spring Lane
Baltimore, MD 21251