Office of Diversity & Equal Employment Opportunity
Nondiscrimination Laws in Higher Education
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended.
This act prohibits discrimination based on race, color, or national origin in all programs and activities receiving federal funds.
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended.
This act prohibits discrimination in employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, or sex. Conditions of employment covered by the act include hiring, promotion, salary, fringe benefits, training and treatment of pregnancy.
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, as amended.
This act prohibits discrimination based on sex in all educational programs and activities receiving federal funds.
- Executive Order 11246, as amended.
This presidential executive order prohibits federal contractors and subcontractors from discrimination in employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, or sex.
- Equal Pay Act of 1963, as amended.
This act prohibits discrimination in salaries and most fringe benefits based on sex.
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967.
This act prohibits discrimination against applicants and employees who are 40 or more years of age.
- Age Discrimination Act of 1975.
This act prohibits discrimination based on age in programs and activities receiving federal funds.
- Vietnam-Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act.
Requires covered federal government contractors and subcontractors to take affirmative action to employ and advance the employment of veterans and prohibits discrimination against such veterans
- Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended.
This act establishes affirmative action obligations of federal contractors and subcontractors with respect to employees and for the advancement in employment of individuals with disabilities.
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended.
This act prohibits discrimination against any qualified applicants, students, or employees based on disability in all programs and activities receiving federal funds.
- Title I Americans with Disabilities Act of 1991.
Prohibits employers from discriminating against an individual based upon disability as it relates to the terms, conditions, and privileges of employment. Requires employers to provide a reasonable accommodation to disabled employees and applicants for employment.
- Civil Rights Act of 1991.
This act reverses parts of seven U.S. Supreme Court decisions handed down between 1988 - 1990 that were adverse to the interests of alleged victims of employment discrimination and provides for increased damages and jury trials in cases of intentional sex, religious and disability bias.
- Title 20, Subtitle 6 of the State Government Article, Annotated Code of Maryland
Prohibits discrimination in employment based upon race, gender/sex, age, ethnicity, national origin, religion, physical or mental disability, color, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information or gender identity.
Diversity & Equal Employment Opportunity
Morgan State University
1700 E. Cold Spring Lane
Tyler Hall, Suite 503
Baltimore, MD 21251
8:00am - 5:00pm (M-F)
P: 443-885-3559 / 3580