Theatre Arts Program
Graduates from this program are prepared for:
- creative arts workforce
- graduate schools
- pre-professional intensive training programs
The diversity of this field lends itself to careers inclusive to the business of theatre such as:
- human resources
Theatre Morgan students gain first-hand production experience expanding their breadth of study in:
- visual art
- light & sound
- costume & make-up
Theatre Morgan alumni have founded their own theatre companies, write for stage and television, perform, direct, practice law, counsel, and more.
Theatre Morgan produces plays that are diverse and wide-ranging. Some of our productions include the following:
- The world premiere original spoken word theatre production of Bridge of Ages
- Langston Hughes' gospel-song play Black Nativity
- David Feldshuh's Miss Evers' Boys
- Robert Harling's Steel Magnolias
- Twilight: Los Angeles, 1991
- Tony Award-winning Raisin, the musical
- The Odyssey by Derek Walcott
- Ragtime, the musical
- William Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice
- Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye adapted by Lydia R. Diamond
- Zora Neale Hurston's Spunk adapted by George C. Wolfe
- The Magic City Massacre by Deletta Gillespie
- Crowns by Regina Taylor
- Euripides' Medea
- S.O.S: Saving Our Streets a guerilla theatre street slam conceived and directed by Phillip Royston Burgess.
- August Wilson's Jitney starring famed actor Roscoe Orman, Gordon from Sesame Street
- for colored girls who have considered suicide when the rainbow was enuf directed by Tony Award-Winning actress,Trazana Beverley
- The Wiz with a special appearance by the original Broadway Wiz, Tony Award-Winning actor, Andre DeShields
- Everybody by Pulitzer-Nominated playwright, Branden Jacobs Jenkins
Theatre Morgan's version of "Inside the Actor's Studio" hosts notable actors like Thomas Jefferson Byrd, Dawn Ursula, Kevin Douglas, Ericka Ratcliff, Jerome Preston Bates, Frank Harts, Lizan Mitchell, Maria-Christina Oliveras, Crystal A. Dickinson and Michael Jean Dozier.
Theatre Morgan continues to host world premiere stage readings for the plays of award-winning playwrights.
Theatre Morgan students gain access to renowned playwrights and artists such as Morgan graduate and Tony Award nominated, Samm-Art Williams, actress/novelist Denise Nicholas, Tony Award-Winner Trazana Beverley, Tony Award-Winner Andre DeShields, Nobel Prize for Literature-Winner Derek Walcott, and Emmy Award-Winner Charles S. Dutton.
Carl J. Murphy Fine Arts Center
2201 Argonne Dr.
Baltimore, MD 21218
Request more information about the Theatre Arts degree at Morgan State University.