Department of Biology
MISSION AND VISION
Our mission is to provide a rich educational and training environment for the engagement of students in interactive learning and exploration of the fundamental principles of biological systems. Faculty diverse in educational and research expertise are available for students to partner with and contribute to the expansion and deepening of our collective understanding of these principles and systems. A primary goal of the department is to continuously produce a diverse population of exceptionally qualified and trained students who are capable of securing admission into the nation’s most prestigious post-baccalaureate STEM educational and training programs and ultimately identify their unique place as leaders within the full spectrum of the nation’s STEM workforce.
Vision and Core Values
The Department of Biology aims to be a state and national leader in preparing a diverse population of students for graduate and professional training in the life sciences and STEM, and for entry in the workforce as innovators, leaders, and teachers of tomorrow. Students will develop competencies and skills preparing and enabling them to strategize and implement solutions for emerging local, national, and global issues.
Departmental Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge in the fundamental concepts in biological thought and inquiry, including evolution, structure /function, information flow, transformation of energy and matter and biological systems.
- Demonstrate the ability to interpret and evaluate the scientific literature.
- Demonstrate competency in laboratory skills and exercises employing quantitative and computational methods to analyze and solve biological problems.
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate scientific principles from the mathematical, chemical and physical sciences to better understand how biological systems function.
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communications and presentation of scientific information to a diverse audience.
- Demonstrate critical thinking ability in the analysis of scientific problems and interpretation of data.
- Demonstrate responsible and professional conduct and sound ethical principles.