Community College Leadership
Dr. Krishna Bista
Office: Banneker, Suite 200
EdS- Community College Teaching & Administration (Arkansas State University)
MS- Post Secondary Education & English (Troy University)
MA -English Language & Literature (Tribhuvan University)
Krishna Bista is a Professor of Higher Education in the Department of Advanced Studies, Leadership and Policy at Morgan State University, Maryland (USA). Dr. Bista is an internationally recognized expert of global student mobility and international education. He teaches doctoral courses in Higher Education and Community College Leadership programs and supervises doctoral dissertations. At Morgan State University, he has led Teach Online Workshop and the Summer Writing Institute. He has chaired several communities including tenure and promotion, research and publication, international affairs strategic planning, and technology committee and organized multiple workshops and conferences on a wide range of higher education topics. Dr. Bista has published more than 100 academic papers, essays, book chapters and edited three dozen books and journal volumes on a wide range of higher education topics including international student mobility, campus internationalization, doctoral student experiences, and online teaching and learning. Dr. Bista is the founding editor of the Journal of International Students, a flagship quarterly publication in international education. He is also the founding series editor for the Routledge Global Student Mobility Book Series and the founding Chair for the Comparative and International Education Society Study Abroad and International Students SIG. Currently, he serves as the Vice President of the STAR Scholars Network, Maryland. Previously, Dr. Bista served as the director of Global Education at the University of Louisiana at Monroe, where he was Chase Endowed Professor of Education in the School of Education.His recent books include Reimagining Internationalization and International Initiatives at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (w/Pinder, Palgrave McMillan, 2022), Online Teaching and Learning in Higher Education During COVID-19: International Perspectives and Experiences (w/Roy & Allen, Routledge, 2022); The Experiences of International Faculty in Institutions of Higher Education: Enhancing Recruitment, Retention, and Integration of International Talent (w/Glass & Lin, Routledge, 2021); International Students at US Community Colleges: Opportunities, Challenges, and Successes (w/Malvaux, Routledge, 2021). Bista serves on the editorial review boards for Kappa Delta Pi Record, Teachers College Record, Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, and International Journal of Leadership in Education. He has reviewed several book projects related to educational research, international and comparative education series for Springer, Routledge, Sage, Palgrave MacMillan, and Bloomsbury publications. Dr. Bista presents annually at national and international conferences—American Educational Research Association, Comparative and International Educational Society, and Association for the Study of Higher Education.
Doctoral Courses Taught
International Student Mobility, Doctoral Student Experience, Technology in Higher Education, Leadership Preparation and Practice, College Access and Success
Selected Publications Books (selected)
- Reimagining internationalization and international initiatives at historically Black colleges and universities. Palgrave McMillan, 2022.
- Reimagining student mobility in higher education: For the future generations of international students. Springer, 2022
- Online teaching and learning in higher education during COVID-19: International perspectives and experiences. Routledge, 2022.
- Impacts of COVID-19 on international students and the future of student mobility. Routledge, 2022.
- The experiences of international faculty in institutions of higher education: Enhancing recruitment, retention, and integration of international talent. Routledge, 2021
- Home and abroad: International student experiences and graduate employability. STAR Scholars, 2022.
- Global footprints in higher education: Cross-cultural experiences of students and faculty. STAR Scholars, 2022.
- Global higher education during COVID-19: Policy, society, and technology. STAR Scholars, 2021.
- COVID-19 and Higher Education in the Global Context: Exploring Contemporary Issues and Challenges. STAR Scholars, 2021.
- International students at US community colleges: Opportunities, challenges, and successes. Routledge, 2021.
- Inequalities in study abroad and student mobility: Navigating challenges and future directions. Routledge, 2021.
- Rethinking education across borders: Emerging issues and important insights on globally mobile students. Springer, 2020
- Higher education in Nepal: Policies and perspectives. Routledge, 2019.
- Global perspectives on international student experiences in higher education: Tensions and issues. Routledge, 2019.
- International student mobility and opportunities for growth in the global market. IGI Global, 2018.
- Global perspectives and local challenges surrounding international student mobility. IGI Global, 2016.
- Exploring the social and academic experiences of international students in higher education institutions. IGI Global, 2016.
- Campus support services, programs, and policies for international students. IGI Global, 2016.
Journal Articles (selected)
- Bista, K. (2022). Examining college student’s multicultural education perspectives. Journal of Education, 203(4), 400-420. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220574221076451
- Subedi, K. R., Sharma, S., & Bista, K. (2022). Academic identity development of doctoral scholars in an online writing group. International Journal of Doctoral Studies, 17(1), 279-300. https://doi.org/10.28945/5004
- Allen, R., & Bista, K. (2022). Talented, yet seen with suspicion: Surveillance of international students and scholars in the United States. Journal of International Students, 12(1). 175-194. https://doi.org/10.32674/jis.v12i1.3410
- Sato, Y., Bista, K., & Matsuzuka, Y. (2022). COVID-19 pandemic’s impact on international students in Japan and the United States: Comparative study from national and institutional context. Journal of Comparative and International Higher Education, 14(3), 44-57 https://ojed.org/index.php/jcihe/article/view/3832/2220
- Simpson, J., & Bista, K. (2021). Examining minority students’ involvements and experiences in cultural clubs and organizations at community colleges. Community College Journal of Research and Practice. https://doi.org/10.1080/10668926.2021.1934753
- Riggs, V., Bista, K., Jackson, O., & Anderson, C. (2021). Examining faculty online education, innovativeness and attitudes toward computers at HBCUs. Journal of Underrepresented and Minority Progress. 5(2), 125-144.
- Abadie, M., & Bista, K. (2018). Concerns and challenges: Implementation of the Common Core State Standards in Louisiana schools. Journal of School Administration Research and Development, 3(1), 57-66.
- Brown, E., & Bista, K. (2018). Perceptions of elementary principals on Compass evaluation system: A case of Louisiana schools. Journal of School Leadership, 28(4), 539-560. https://doi.org/10.1177/105268461802800405
- Bista, K. (2018). The role of intermediary agents in assisting Nepalese students to study in the United States. Journal of International and Global Studies, 9(1), 93-111. https://digitalcommons.lindenwood.edu/jigs/vol9/iss1/6/
- Campbell, T. A., Adamuti-Trache, M., & Bista, K. (2018). Employment and earnings of international science and engineering graduates of U.S. universities: A comparative perspective. Journal of International Students, 8(1), 120-135. https://doi.org/10.32674/jis.v8i1.172
- Saleh, A., & Bista, K. (2017). Examining factors impacting online survey response rates in educational research: Perceptions of graduate students. Journal of Multidisciplinary Evaluation, 13(29), 63-74.
- Bista, K., & Dagley, A. (2015). Higher education preparation and decision-making trends among international students. College & University, 90(3), 2-11.
- Bista, K. (2015). The influence of country of origin and academic level on Asian students’ gain of learning. Journal of International Students, 5(3), 300-305. https://doi.org/10.32674/jis.v5i3.598
- Bista, K. (2015). Is Twitter a pedagogical tool in higher education? Perspectives of education graduate students. Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 15(2), 83-102. https://doi.org/10.14434/josotl.v15i2.12825
- Bista, K., & Saleh, A. (2015). Asian international students’ college experiences: Relationship between perceived quality of personal contact and self-reported gains in learning. Journal of International and Global Education, 6(2), 38-54.
- Bista, K. (2015). Roles of international student advisors: Literature and practice in American higher education. International Education, 44(1), 89-103.
- Bista, K., & Saleh, A. (2014). Assessing the need for global education program in post-secondary education in the United States. Journal of International & Global Studies, 5(2), 19-39.
- Bista, K., & Cox, D. W. (2014). Cohort-based doctoral programs: What we have learned over the last 18 years? International Journal of Doctoral Studies, 9, 1-20.
- Bista, K. (2012). Silence in teaching and learning: Perspectives of a Nepalese graduate student. College Teaching, 60 (2), 76-82. doi: 10.1080/87567555.2011.633943
- Bista, K. (2012). Multicultural literature for children and young adults. The Educational Forum, 76(3), 145-155. doi:10.1080/00131725.2012.682203