Office of Student Rights & Responsibilities
The Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities (OSRR) has the primary responsibility to manage and direct the University's efforts in matters involving student conduct. The Morgan State University (MSU) is a community of scholars where students are held accountable for their actions based on the Student Code of Conduct.
The Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities has adopted as its mission to promote B.E.A.R. P.R.I.D.E. as we manage the University's student conduct process. It is our belief that through our collaborative efforts with students, faculty and staff to uphold the University's Core Values, our office will Build an Environment of Accountability and Responsibility on Principles of Respect, Integrity, Decency and Ethics. With this approach of B.E.A.R. P.R.I.D.E. we engage students, faculty and staff proactively by presenting programs and conducting workshops to educate the campus community of University policies and the expectation of student conduct both on and off-campus. When students have B.E.A.R. P.R.I.D.E. in their environment, in their institution and in themselves, incidents of misconduct decrease, because students understand the tremendous opportunity they have been given to attend the National Treasure that is Morgan State University.
- To regard each student as an individual, deserving individual attention, consideration, and respect.
- To foster an understanding and toleration of cultural diversity, which enriches the learning environment
- To deal honestly and fairly with each student, and maintain in all circumstances, professionalism and integrity.
- To hold each student to a high standard of behavior, that is conducive to an educational environment.
- To promote the educational growth of every student, and contribute to the University by providing data on student conduct and advising the various departments that provide student programming
- Service as the resource center for the Division of Student Affairs on matters pertaining to FERPA, trends in student conduct, and applicable policies relating to student rights on the university level.
To ensure that the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities provides quality service to our students, our vision is to:
- Proactively assess and respond (through adjudication) to the extensive range of student misconduct while observing fundamental fairness, social justice and due process of student rights;
- To ensure that students, faculty and staff are aware of University policies and procedures, in particular the Code of Student Conduct (CODE) for maintaining a positive and productive living-learning environment;
- Assessing our effectiveness by promoting a customer service friendly environment, that gives priority to the individual student and providing sanctions that allow for student growth and development when applicable.
With an increasing diverse student population, which includes gender, race, age, and personal identification choices, we realize the need for a well trained and experience staff. The Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities stays abreast of institutional trends and standards, review of current publications in the field of student conduct, attending workshops and conferences pertaining to the field, observing student developmental theories and best practices, and continued research of the legal aspects of higher education and administration.