Skip to Content

Office of International Student & Faculty Services

FAQs for International Students

1. Who is an international student?
International students are applicants who are not US citizens or permanent residents.

2. I/my parents have applied for a green card, am I still an international student?
Yes. You are still considered an international student until you have the green card, and can send us a copy.

3. Can international students apply to any undergraduate program at Morgan State University?
Yes. See the Office of Undergraduate Admission and Recruitment for more information.

4. I attended a university after finishing high school (grades 9-12), can I apply as a freshman, even if I only have a few credits?
No. Anyone who attended a university or college after finishing high school must apply as a transfer student.

5. What are the differences betwen a domestic (U.S. Citizen) application and an international application?
All undergraduate applicants use the same application, and submit the same admissions materials.  However, there are three differences for international students:

  • An English language proficiency test may be required. It can be waived under certain circumstances (see question #6)
  • A certification of finances is required. (bank statement(s) and an affidavit of support)
  • Transfer student applicants with international transfer credit (college or university credit completed after high school outside the United States) are required to submit a course-by-course evaluation of their coursework from foreign universities and official course descriptions.

6. Do I need to take the TOEFL or IELTS (English language proficiency tests)?
All international applicants are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS unless they meet one of the following waiver requirements:
*24 or more credits from a regionally accredited college/university in the United States.
*Citizens of countries where English is the first language
*All high school instruction is in English, such as those international students studying at U.S. high schools

7. Is the SAT or ACT required for international students? 
No. The SAT or ACT is required if you want to be considered for an Honors College scholarship (very limited).

8. I need to study English as a Second Langauge (ESL) before I begin my academic studies. Do you offer conditional admission?
Morgan State University does not offer conditional admission. If your native language is not English, you must submit official results of one of the following tests in order to receive consideration for admission:

Internet-based TOEFL - Minimum Score: 79
Paper-based TOEFL - Minimum Score: 550
IELTS - Minimum Score: 5.0 overall band score