Eight Biology majors (Afua Adusei, Blessing Akobundu, Kelly Boham, Benjamin Frey, Jamiu Giwa-Otusajo, Dominique Munson, Priscilla Offei, and Joshua Ross) and six Chemistry majors (Jahnn Drigo, Tiara Hinton, Chikaodi Nwanegwo, Pierce Perkins, Kayla Powell, and Treshaun Sutton) from the SCMNS presented their research projects as posters along with 268 other undergraduate students from a variety of institutions across the region at the 19th Undergraduate Research Symposium in the Chemical and Biological Sciences at UMBC on 10/22/16. All participating students are supported by one of the following STEM support grant programs at Morgan (NIGMS RISE, NSF S-STEM, NSF LSAMP or ASCEND) Six of these students walked away with first prize: Blessing Akobundu, Benjamin Frey, Dominique Munson, and Jahnn Drigo) or second prize: Afua Adusei and Joshua Ross).
Associate Professor of Mathematics Jonathan Farley interviewed for article by GoodCall.com, "HBCUs Take Different Approaches to STEM Partnerships"
Three Actuarial Science majors - Rodrigue Djikeuchi, Sika Dzidzonu, and Turayo Tijani - have bee named 2016-17 recipients of the Actuarial Foundation Actuarial Diversity Scholarship. Morgan State was one of the three universities tied for having the most scholarship winners among this year's awardees. Actuarial Science major and Travelers EDGE scholar, Torrance Allen, was selected to participate in a film documenting the 10 years that the EDGE scholarship program has been in existence. The documentary will be shown at the Travelers EDGE 10th Anniversary Symposium in fall 2017.
SCMNS Welcome 84 Transfer Students. SCMNS welcomes 54 transfer students in the last 8 months. Students are transferring from both in and out-of-state. The majority, about 85%, come from various counties and cities across the state of Maryland. The other 15% are comprised of international students and those from New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, DC and Virginia. Our International Students were native to countries from within the Caribbean, North Africa, Saudi Arabia and Nepal.
Morgan's Teaching to Increase Diversity and Equity in STEM (MTIDES), organized the FALL 2016 Faculty Professional Development Workshop on "R and Parallel R" on August 18, 2016. Over twenty five faculty members and a few doctoral students from across Morgan State University and other regional universities attended the workshop. Mr. Dave Walling from Texas Advanced Computing Center provided training on the basics of R and running R jobs in High Performance Computing environments. A post-workshop survey indicated a high degree of satisfaction with the workshop. Additional hands-on faculty workshops will be held during 2016-2017 academic year.
Ph.D. Program in Bioenvironmental Science produces two graduates, Congratulations, Dr. Akinyele Oni (Akers) and Dr. Belygona Barare (Aslan)(May 2016).SCMNS MS Programs produce a total of 10 graduates (Fall 2015 and Spring 2016).
National Science Foundation Awards Computer Science Faculty, Dr. MD Rahman) a record two grants nearly $500,000 for Bioinformatics Research.
Dr. Seifu won an award of $200,000 grant for 2016/2017 academic year from ARL as part of the 1.2 million CERA he was awarded 2012- 2017.
Morgan State University has received a three-year $450,000 award from the U.S. Navy to conduct a research study on the energy capacity of lithium-ion batteries. Dr. Kadir Aslan, an Assistant Dean for Research and Graduate Studies and Professor of Chemistry at Morgan, will serve as principal investigator for the research and will manage a team of undergraduate and graduate students providing assistance with this project.
Aslan Research Group was awarded a Phase 2 Maryland Innovation Initiative (MII) grant from TEDCO based on Morgan's first patented technology, which resulted in the formation of Morgan's first ever university start-up company iCrystal, Inc. (March 2015).
Welcome page and SCMNS highlights
The mission and goals of SCMNS
Faculty and Staff who work out of the Office of the Dean
List of all departments and professional programs
SCMNS Graduate Programs
Details on all high school iniatiatives coordinated through SCMNS
Research and industry internship/fellowship opportunities for students
List of all research programs and opportunities in SCMNS
Details of the SCMNS Honors program
Other Academic Programs
School of Computer, Mathematical & Natural Sciences
Dr. Hongtao Yu, Dean and Professor
Dixon Science Research Center,
Baltimore, MD 21251