- GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale for the last two years of undergraduate work
- GPA of 3.5 or better on a 4.0 scale on all postgraduate study beyond the baccalaureate degree
- MSW Degree from a Council on Social Work Education accredited program.
- Persons with other related graduate degrees may apply but they will be required to enroll in a social work urban practice internship
- Official results of the GRE (Graduate Record Examination). If previously taken, scores cannot be more than five years old
- A Personal Background Statement
- Applicants must respond to the following questions, 1. Tell us about yourself and your professional experiences; 2. What are your research interests; 3. When did you take your last research course; 4. How do the goals of the PhD program advance your goals as a scholar/researcher; 5. Where do you see yourself in 5 years.
- A current resume or curriculum vitae documenting professional experiences
- One sample of professional writing, which can include a publication and research proposal abstract if available
- Three letters of recommendation: one from a recent work experience, and two academic references
- Interview with the PhD Committee
- International students, whose native language is not English, must provide a TOEFL score of 550 or higher and demonstrate through the required written documentation and interview that they have requisite verbal and analytical skills needed to successfully complete the program.
A graduate application and financial aid information can be obtained from Morgan State University School of Graduate Studies. By going to this website, applicants can also apply online to the PhD program. The application deadline is February 1st.
For more information about the PhD program & admission related questions contact
Dr. Jerome Schiele, PhD Chair: (443) 885-1964.