MSW Program admission is currently granted for the fall semester only. Students must meet admission requirements set by both the MSU School of Graduate Studies and the MSU School of Social Work MSW Program. Please visit MSU School of Graduate Studies for more information regarding admission requirements. The posted deadline for applications applies to all supporting documents. The MSW Program does not receive applications for review from the School of Graduate Studies until they are complete with resume, background statement, 3 recommendations, and official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
Regular standing applicants:
- MSW Program Schedule
Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. Transcripts must be sent from the college directly to the MSU School of Graduate Studies in order to be considered official.
A 3.0 cumulative grade point average is required for regular admission.
Students with a 2.5 - 2.9 GPA may be admitted conditionally.
Three Letters of Recommendation. Recommendations are to be from employers, professors or volunteer/internship supervisors, rather than colleagues or personal references.
Personal Background Statement. This statement is to include professional and personal goals, career objectives, and discussion of a social issue of importance to the applicant.
Resume. Include education, professional and volunteer experience, academic achievements and professional accomplishments, particularly those that are relevant to social work.
Interview. May be requested by the MSW Admissions Committee.
Advanced standing applicants:
- The applicant must meet the admission criteria for the MSW Program;
- The applicant must have graduated from a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) within the last 5 years. Applicants who are still enrolled in their BSW program should apply following the first semester of their senior year. Acceptance to Advanced Standing would be conditional, pending receipt of final qualifying grades and confirmation of the BSW degree;
- The applicant must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and no grade lower than a B in any Social Work course.
- Complete and submit the general MSW Application through the School of Graduate Studies; Within this application, students who meet the eligibility requirements above shouold indicate their interest within the Statement of Goals section of the application (i.e. "One of my goals is to be admitted into the Advanced Standing program.")
- Submit an Advanced Standing recommendation form completed by the BSW Chair to email@example.com;
- Submit an Advanced Standing recommendation form completed by the BSW Field Education Department. This form is to be completed by one of the following: Director, Assistant Director, Field Liaison, or Field Supervisor;
- Upon receipt of both recommendation forms, the applicant will receive an email notification to schedule an Advanced Standing Interview;
- Applicants will receive an Advanced Standing determination within two weeks of completing their interview. If it is determined that an applicant is denied for Advanced Standing, the applicant's initial offer to attend the 60-credit program remains.
For information regarding deadlines, please see Frequently Asked Questions.
Jenkins Behavioral Sciences Building, Room 342
Tel: (443) 885-4232; Fax: (443) 885-8241