MSW Program admission is currently granted for the fall semester only. Please visit www.morgan.edu/ssw for the application deadline and guidelines. Students must meet admission requirements set by both the MSU School of Graduate Studies and the MSU School of Social Work MSW Program. Please visit www.morgan.edu/Graduate for more information regarding admission requirements for the Graduate School. The posted deadline for applications applies to all supporting documents. The MSW Program does not receive applications for review from the School of Graduate Studies until they are complete with resume, background statement, 3 recommendations, and official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. The following items are required for consideration for admission to the MSW Program:
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. Transcripts must be sent from the college directly to the MSU School of Graduate Studies in order to be considered official.
- A 3.0 cumulative grade point average is required for regular admission.
- Students with a 2.5 - 2.9 GPA may be admitted conditionally.
- Three Letters of Recommendation. Recommendations are to be from employers, professors or volunteer/internship supervisors, rather than colleagues or personal references.
- Personal Background Statement. This statement is to include professional and personal goals, career objectives, and discussion of a social issue of importance to the applicant. An outline of the contents of the Personal Statement may be found on the Admissions page of the School of Social Work website: www.morgan.edu/ssw .
- Resume. Include education, professional and volunteer experience, academic achievements and professional accomplishments, particularly those that are relevant to social work.
- Interview. may be requested by the MSW Admissions Committee.
Meeting the minimum eligibility requirements and submitting all the required documents does not guarantee that an offer of admission will be made to the applicant. The decision of the Program Admissions Committee involves a review and analysis of all the elements of the application as well as the availability of positions in the program. The committee then recommends to the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies that an offer admission should be made based on that review.
Advanced Standing Criteria
- Bachelors of Social Work (BSW)
- A 3.0 cumulative grade point average (conditional admits are nor eligible for advanced standing.
- Recommendation form from Chair of BSW Department
- Recommendation form from Field Supervisor
Advanced Standing Admissions Process
- Submit completed online application to the School of Graduate Studies
- Submit all transcripts to the School of Graduate Studies
- Email the Recommendation Forms to your Chair and Field Supervisor. Instruct them that they should fill out the form and email directly to the Director of Admissions & Student Affairs: Nia.Johnson@morgan.edu
Director of Admissions & Student Affairs
Nia Johnson, LGSW
Jenkins Behavioral Sciences Building, Room 342
Tel: (443) 885-4232; Fax (443) 885-8241
School of Social Work
1700 E. Cold Spring Lane
Jenkins Behavioral Science Building, Rm. 343
Baltimore, MD 21251