Mission & Vision
Morgan State University is a Doctoral Research-Intensive University. As such, the School of Graduate Studies seeks to create policies, procedures, initiatives and opportunities to support the teaching and learning of graduate students, particularly students in pursuit of a doctoral education. The vision of the School of Graduate Studies is to facilitate the development of a community of scholars whereby graduate students and faculty achieve recognition among peer and aspirant colleagues and institutions for the academic rigor of the instruction and research pursued at Morgan State University and for the significance of the service provided by graduate students and faculty to their respective academic disciplines.
Consistent with the designation of Morgan as Maryland's Public Urban University, and its classification as a doctoral degree granting institution the mission of the School of Graduate Studies is to advance the education of students who have excelled at the baccalaureate and/or master's level and to prepare them for careers as future faculty, leaders in public education, the professions, research, and service. The goal of the School of Graduate Studies is to create a universal community of scholars and adult learners committed to the life long discovery and application of knowledge that will enrich the lives of those they teach and serve. The graduate faculty at Morgan encourages graduate students to master the complex theories, principles, and research methodologies, of their respective disciplines for the twofold purpose of advancing knowledge in their chosen field, and contributing to the improvement of urban communities.
The Objectives of the School of Graduate Studies are:
- To offer doctoral programs of the highest possible quality to those who aspire to become intellectual leaders in the professions and in the various disciplines of teaching and research.
- To support research that advances knowledge, contributes to undergraduate and graduate education, and which increases the capacity of the University to provide programs of service to the local community.
- To assist the Colleges/Schools in the development of the Universityâ€TMs doctoral and research mission.
- To increase the competence of graduate students in their academic disciplines by facilitating carefully directed intellectual activity.
- To provide adult learners, professionals, and practitioners with opportunities to earn masterâ€TMs degrees, certificates, and other advanced continuing education credits that provide for cultural enrichment, academic enhancement, and professional growth.
- To encourage the spirit of independent inquiry and appraisal, including basic and applied research.
- To promote inquiry, investigation, and analysis into the problems of urban communities that will inform social policy and that may lead to the solution of those problems.