The Aslan Research Group News
- Research Projects are available for self-supported National and International Scientists (Last update: January 2018).
- Ms. Zainab Boone-Kukoyi successfully defends her Ph.D. dissertation. #6 from the ARG.
- A new student club, called Students Mentored in Applied Research Techniques (S.M.A.R.T.) CLUB is formed within the Aslan Research Group and Morgan's SRC.
- The Aslan Research group moves to 2,900 sq. ft. new laboratories in School of Engineering.
- Dr. Kadir Aslan becomes Professor of Civil Engineering and Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies in the School of Engineering.
- The Aslan Research group graduates 7 undergraduates in May 2017 and 1 undergraduate in December 2017.
- Ms. Nishone Thompson joins Emory's M.D./Ph.D. program.
- Ms. Brittney Gordon joins GWU's M.D. program through early selection process.
- Mr. Edward Constance joins Howard's M.D. program.
- Mr. Yohana Habtom joins NAVY Philly.
- Mr. Anish Bhandari completes his M.S. thesis in 9 months. Congratulations, Mr. Bhandari!
- Mr. Solomon Tadesse successfully defends his Ph.D. dissertation. Congratulations, Dr. Tadesse!
- Mr. Enock Bonyi completes his Ph.D. in 3.5 years. Congratulations, Dr. Bonyi!
- Ms. Raquel Shortt (Biology) becomes a P.I. after winning an $5,000 research award from Morgan's ASCEND.
- Ms. Monet Stevenson, Ms. Kristen Walker, and Mr. Kyle Drake joins the Aslan Research Group as Ph.D. studemts.
- The Aslan Research Group has a total of 7 Visiting Scholars, 6 Ph.D. Students, 1 Post-Doctoral Researcher, 1 M.Sc. Student, 8 Summer Interns and 20 Undergraduate Students.
- Ms. Nishone Thompson wins first place as she presented the poster entitled "Metal-Assisted and Microwave Accelerated Crystallization" at Emory University-Laney Graduate School STEM Research and Career Symposium (September 18-20, 2016.) Congratulations Nishone!
- Mrs. Fathmah Alshariri successfully defends her M.S. thesis earns her M.S. degree in Chemistry. (Summer 2016) Congratulations Fatmah!
M.S. Thesis Title: "Crystallization of L-Glutathione on Icrystal Plates Using Metal-Assisted And Microwave-Accelerated Evaporative Crystallization with a Mono-Mode Microwaves"
- Ms. Belygona Barare successfully defends her Ph.D. dissertation earns her Ph.D. degree in BioEnviromental Sciences Program, Morgan State University (Summer 2016) Congratulations Dr. Belygona!
- Ph.D. Dissertation Title: "Synthesis, Characterization and Investigation of Anion Sensing Properties of Schiff Base Derivatives of 2-amino-6-methoxybenzothiazole" .
- Mrs. Aysha Zaakan successfully defends her M.S. thesis earns her M.S. degree in Chemistry. (Summer 2016) Congratulations Asyha!
- U.S. Navy Awards Morgan $450,000 for Battery Energy Research Industrial Engineering NAVY NEEC Scholars
Project Dates: April 2016 - October 2018
Zeenat O. Kukoyi - Sophomore
Yohana Habtom - Junior
Frank Coleman - Freshmen
Zanel Camielle - Freshmen
Project: Phenomenological study of a lithium battery employing a novel electrode material.
- Brittney Gordon, Enock Bonyi & Zainab Boone-Kukoyi presented their separate oral and poster presentations at the IMPI's 50th Annual Microwave Power Symposium (The Caribe Royale All Suite Hotel & Convention Center Orlando Florida, USA.)
- Ms. Zainab Boone-Kukoyi successfully defends his Ph.D. dissertation proposal (April 2016).
- Mr. Enock Bonyi successfully defends his Ph.D. dissertation proposal (March 2016)
- The Aslan Research Group's MA-MAEC "Metal-assisted and microwave-accelerated evaporative crystallization" technology was awarded an US Patent No: 9,243,017 (January 26, 2016). This is Morgan's first-ever full patent in its 148-history. iCrystal, Inc., Morgan's first-ever spin off company was established based on the MA-MAEC technology.
- Mr. Kevin Mauge-Lewis succesfully defends his M.S. thesis earns his M.S. degree in Biology (October 2015).
- Ms. Carisse Lansiqout is the recipient of the 2015 NextGen Scholarship provided by P.E.R.K. Consulting.
- Mr. Oreoluwa Adesina and Ms. Hashmath Fathima are selected as Extreme Science Scholars.
- Dr. Iknur Babahan (Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Adnan Menderes University, Turkey) joins the Aslan Research Group as a visiting research scholar (August 2015- August 2016).
- Aslan Research Group's Ph.D. students (Dr. Aslan presented on behalf of Enock Bonyi and Zainab Boone-Kukoyi) make oral presentations at the 250th ACS National Meeting & Exposition in Boston, MA (August 16-20, 2015).
- Dr. Hakan Dal (Professor of Chemistry, Anadolu University, Turkey) visits the Aslan Research Group (August 4-25, 2015).
- Dr. Aslan visits and makes presentations in Turkey: Ankara University, Canakkale Onsekiz Mart University and Anadolu University as part of a visiting scientist program funded by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK) and hosted by Professor Mustafa Yildiz (Canakkale Onsekiz Mart University) (July 3-14, 2015).
- Dr. Aslan was elected to co-chair the Technical Program Committee for IMPI 50, June 2016.
- Dr. Aslan chairs a session at the IMPI 49, San Diego, June 16-18, 2015
- Mr. Oreoluwa Adesina, Ms. Nishone Thompson and Ms. Brittney Gordon completes external summer internship (June-Augusut, 2015).
- Ms. Fareeha Syed and Sarah Syed joins the Aslan Research Group as summer interns (June-August 2015).
- Aslan research group celebrates the graduation of Dr. Mohammed, Dr. Abel, Mr Mojibola, Mr. Onuekwusi (May 2015).
- Dr. Aslan receives an award ($132,600 for 8 months) from JHU-CMEDE to work with Polymers and Composites Collaborative Materials Research Groups.
- Ms. Anginelle Alabanza (UNC, Ph.D. Chemistry) wins a prestigious NSF Fellowship. Congratulations Anginelle! This is the 2nd NSF Fellow from the Aslan Research Group (first one was won by Ms. Tsehai Grell at MIT in 2013) (March 31, 2015).
- Mr. Adeolu Mojibola wins prestigious The Dolphus E. Millgian fellowship at UMCP (March 27, 2015).
- Ms. Yehnara Ettinoffe is accepted to the Ph.D. Program (Biochemistry) at UMCP.
- Aslan Research Group makes 3 oral presentations and 3 poster presentations (COLL Division) at the 249th ACS National Meeting & Exposition in Denver, CO (March 22 - 26, 2015.)
- Dr. Aslan receives a subaward ($89,843 for 1 year) from Juxtopia, LLC (NIH STTR phase 1 award based on the technology described in Morgan's recent patent application, Metal-Assisted and Microwave-Accelerated Evaporative Crystallization), bringing the all time funding of Aslan Research Group to $1,088,410 (March 10, 2015).
- Aslan Research Group's Mr. Muzaffer Mohammed successfully defends his Ph.D. dissertation (February 18, 2015). Congratulations, Dr. Mohammed!
- Aslan Research Group reaches its largest ever size with 25 researchers (Spring 2015).
- Aslan Research Group's Mr. Biebele Abel successfully defends his Ph.D. dissertation (February 13, 2015). Congratulations, Dr. Abel!
- Aslan Research Group acquires a 3-D printer (February 9, 2015).
- Aslan Research Group's Ms. Belygona Barare's (Ph.D. candidate) dissertation proposal receives approval from her dissertation committee (January 30, 2015).
- Ms. Zainab Boone-Kukoyi joins Aslan Research Group as a Ph.D. student (January 26, 2015).
- Aslan Research Group publishes a paper in JPCC "Abel, B.; Coskun, S.; Mohammed, M.; Williams, R.; Unalan*, H.U..; Aslan*, K. "Metal-Enhanced Fluorescence from Silver Nanowires with High Aspect Ratio", The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, (2015), 119(1), 675-684. DOI: 10.1021/jp509040f"
- Aslan Research Groups recieves a $140,000 technology evaluation grant from the NAVY (October 1, 2014).
- Mr. Adeolu Mojibola was selected as a recipient of the Colgate-Palmolive Undergraduate Poster Presentation Award at the 2014 NOBCChE ConneXions Poster Session & Reception. This award was established to recognize undergraduate and graduate candidates whose research demonstrates excellence in the STEM fields.
- Dr. Kadir Aslan feature a newsroom article entitled "Nanotechnology and Medical Biotechnology" on the online publications of Turkish American Scientists and Scholars Association (TASSA).
- Aslan Research Group now has 22 researchers (Fall 2014).
- Aslan Research Group was awarded a Phase 2 Maryland Innovation Iniative (MII) grant from TEDCO based on Morgan's first patented technology. This is Dr. Aslan's second MII Award (September 2014).
- Mr. Enock Bonyi, Mr. Solomon Tadesse and Ms. Belygona Barare joined Aslan Research Group as Ph.D. students (August 2014).
- Two faculty members from the department of Chemistry at the Canakkale Onsekiz Mart University (Turkey), Dr. Mustafa Yildiz and Dr. Fatma Aydin, the Aslan Research Group as a visiting research scholar (June 2014- September 2014).
- Aslan Research Group celebrates the graduation of Ms. Ogundolie, Ms. Nicholson, Ms. Ettinoffe and Mr. Dongmo-Momo and the end of another successful academic year with colleagues (May 8, 2014).
- Dr. Kadir Aslan attended a panel review on OLED technology for The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (April 15-18, 2014).
- Aslan Research Group members attend and win 3 awards at 21st Annual Morgan Research Symposium (April 2014):Aslan Research Group celebrates Mr. Muzaffer Mohammed (Ph.D. candidate) receipt of approval for his dissertation proposal (April 7, 2014).
- Mr Kevin Mauge-Lewis; Outstanding oral presentation in chemistry/biology presentations
- Ms Taiwo Ogundolie; Outstanding oral presentation in chemistry/biology presentations
- Mr Adeolu Mojibola; 1st place in poster presentations in chemistry/biology presentations
- Mr. Adeolu Mojibola's first paper"Crystal Engineering of L-Alanine with L-Leucine Additive using Metal-Assisted and Microwave-Accelerated Evaporative Crystallization" is accepted to Crystal Growth and Design (March 21, 2014).
- Aslan Research Group makes two poster presentations at the 247th ACS National Meeting in Dallas, TX, March 16-20, 2014.
- Aslan Research Group celebrates Mr. Biebele Abel's (Ph.D. candidate) receipt of approval for his dissertation proposal (February 28, 2014).
- Aslan Research Group celebrates the graduation of Mr. Travis Clement.
- Dr. Boliong Amang (EE'12, Morgan) joins the Aslan Research Group as Post-Doctoral Research Assistant (December 2013).
- Dr. Kadir Aslan gave an invited talk at Shanghai Jiao Tong University entitled "iCrystal and New Crystallization Platforms", December 12, 2013.
- Aslan Research Group presents 3 posters at the 2013 Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (November 2013).
- Mr. Adeolu Mojibbola wins AP Kennedy Undergraduate Scholarship Award at the NOBCChE for Fall 2013 meeting.
- Dr. Kadir Aslan wins one of the The Daily Record's "Innovators of the Year" for 2013.
- Mr. Adeolu Mojibola: Colgate Palmolive Award and Lubrizol Award
- Aslan Research Group students win awards to present their work at the NOBCChE for Fall 2013 meeting:Dr. Kadir Aslan becomes the Assistant Dean for Research and Graduate Studies at SCMNS (September 2013).
- Mr. Adeolu Mojibola: Colgate Palmolive Award and Lubrizol Award
- Ms. Taiwo Ogundolie: Advancing Science Award
- Mr. Biebele Abel: Advancing Science Award
- Mr. Muzaffer Mohammed: Advancing Science Award
- Aslan Research Group finishes Summer 2013 with 10 researchers.
- Aslan Research Group Ph.D. students, Mr. Mohammed and Mr. Abel have passed their Ph.D. Comprehensive Exam (May 20, 2103).
- Aslan Research Group celebrates the end of a successful academic year with colleagues (May 20, 2013).
- Aslan Research Group is awarded a Phase 1 ($100,000) Maryland Innovation Initiative (TEDCO) to develop new crystallization platforms for commercialization. Please read the details here.
- Aslan Research Group is well-positioned for summer 2013 research with a record 10 students.
- Aslan Research Group members attend and win 2 awards at 20th Annual Morgan Research Symposium (April 2013):Aslan Research Group Member, Ms. Maleeha Syed (Notre Dame of Maryland) wins Top Student award at the ACS Maryland meeting (April 2013).
- Mr Adeolu Mojibola; 1st place in oral presentation in chemistry/biology presentations (Photo-Right)
- Mr. Travis Clement; 1st place in poster presentations in chemistry/biology presentations (Photo-Left).
- Aslan Research Group members are working hard on Friday after 5 pm.
- Aslan Research Group makes an oral and a poster presentation at the 245th ACS National Meeting & Exposition (April 7-11, 2013, New Orleans, LA.
- Aslan Research Group Ph.D. students (Mr. Mohammed and Mr. Abel) are awarded travel grants from ACS Maryland and National (Division of Biological Chemistry) sections to present their work at the 245th ACS National Meeting & Exposition (April 7-11, 2013, New Orleans, LA).
- Aslan Research Group celebrates their 100th paper.
- Aslan Research Group attends National NOBCChE Conference and Gala (September 2012).
- Aslan Research Group publishes 100th paper! (Accepted for publication August 30, 2012).
- Aslan Research Group completes a very productive summer research with 9 members (Muzaffer, Biebele, Anginelle, Mohammed, Tabassum, Maleeha, Adeolu, Afolabi, Jenelle), which resulted in collection of data for 7 manuscripts.
- Ms. Tsehai Grell joins the Ph.D. Program in the Department of Chemistry at MIT.
- Dr. Kadir Aslan is promoted to Professor (effective August 8, 2012).
- Ms. Tsehai Grell wins multiple Awards:Ms. Tsehai Grell appears in a Baltimore Sun Article: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/education/bal-bs-md-graduation-vri20120517170717,0,829904.photo
- Morgan's President's Award for Exceptional Creative Award
- Certificate of Achievement for graduating summa cum laude (CGPA 4.0)
- George H. Spaulding Award
- Maryland Section of the American Chemical Society
- ACS recognition for outstanding achievements in the field of chemistry for the year 2012.
- Aslan Research Group celebrates the graduation of Ms. Grell, Ms. Pettis and Ms. Mpamugo (May 10, 2012).
- Aslan Research Group attends National ACS Meeting (March 2012).
- Aslan Research Group participates in 2nd Annual Morgan Innovation Day at Annapolis, MD (February 9, 2012)
- Dr. Kadir Aslan is co-editing a special issue called "The use of Plasmonics in Nano Biomedicine and Engineering" in Nano Biomedicine and Engineering. Please see http://nanobe.org/ for details or e-mail Dr. Aslan at email@example.com (October 24, 2011)
- Dr. Kadir Aslan is selected as an Associate Editor to Nano Biomedicine and Engineering.
- Ms. Melissa Pinard joins the Ph.D. Program in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at University of Florida.
- Ms. Melissa Pinard wins Morgan's President's Award for Exceptional Creative Award.
- Mr. Biebele Abel started his Ph.D. research rotation (Fall 2011).
- Dr. Kadir Aslan gave an invited talk at Shanghai Jiao Tong University entitled "Ultra fast and sensitive clinical immunoassays", August 24, 2011. http://en.sjtu.edu.cn/events/356-ultra-fast-and-sensitive-clinical-immunoassays
- Dr. Kadir Aslan earns tenure as Associate Professor (effective August 10, 2011).
- Ms. Grell joins MIT Summer Research Program (MSRP) (Summer 2011).
- Aslan Research Group celebrates the graduation of Ms. Pinard at the first group meeting (May 11, 2011).
- Ms. Grell and Dr. Kadir Aslan are mentioned in an C&EN article (May 9, 2011): http://pubs.acs.org/cen/email/html/8919sci2.html
- Dr. Kadir Aslan delivered a lecture called "Basics of Technical Writing" at the 2011 NOBCCHE Conference Workshop. (Download the lecture here). April 22, 2011.
- Ms. Grell and Ms. Pinard win 3rd place in the poster presentation at the 2011 National ACS Meeting (division of colloids) (March 2011).
- Mr. Muzaffer Mohammed joins Aslan Research Group (Ph.D.Program) (Spring 2011).
- Ms. Grell presented her work on Metal-Assisted and Microwave-Accelerated Evaporative Crystallization at 2010 Ana G. Mendez University System Research Symposium, San Juan, Puerto Rico (September 10-11, 2010).
- Ms. Pinard completes MIT Summer Research Program (MSRP) (Summer 2010).
- Dr. Kadir Aslan joins the Department of Chemistry as tenure-track Associate Professor and forms the Aslan Research Group.