What do we want pre-health students to know?
- Students should begin their undergraduate journey with an understanding of themselves and how their unique personalities and strengths fit into their goal of becoming health professionals
- Students should acquire an understanding of the breath of opportunities within the healthcare professions by exploring areas of health they may be interested in
- Students should have a realistic understanding of what the application process entails to be accepted into a professional school of their choice
- Students should be aware of the experiences and competencies that a pre-health student should develop based on expectations by professional schools
What do we want pre-health students to be able to do?
- Students should be able to balance the achievement of high grades for both the sciences as well as in the humanities
- Students should be able to develop a well rounded portfolio that includes some practical experience within their field of interest
- Students should be able to persist with a clear understanding of their goals, first for graduation and then for professional school
- Students should be able to commit to the process of understanding the reality and complexity of applying to professional school and make informed decisions
- Students should be timely in their commitment and submission of requested pre-professional documents
- Students should work to develop a strategic plan for professional school that maximizes their opportunity for success both at the undergraduate level and beyond
For what do we want pre-health students to be responsible?
- The efficient management of time and one's ability to be successful as a MSU graduate throughout the pre-professional process
- To be motivated and self directed in thought and effort
- To use the necessary resources available to prepare and make good decisions
- The registration and official establishment of any personal account for the application service selected
- The monitoring of the application process after the submission to the application service
- Notifying the assigned pre-health adviser any issues discovered during the process or success attained upon acceptance to professional school
- Final decisions in any matter relative to school selection, timing, and submission of materials to the selected schools
- Payment of any costs associated with applying to their selected professional school