The Get SMART Project - SMART (students/society mobilized and retooled to transform)
Get SMART with iCHAT - (integrated community health approaches to transformation)
PEEP THIS - Peers Engaging and Empowering Peers Towards a Healthier & Informed Sex Practices)
Maryland Strategic Prevention Framework (MSPF II) - Behavior Health Systems Baltimore
The F.A.I.T.H. Initiative - (Faith-based Approaches in Transformative Healing)
Using the constellation of the above grants to support the center will allow us to expand our outreach and services on campus and in the community. Additionally, as we grow and seek additional funding, we hope to acquire a space that would house the staff and leadership of S.H.A.P.E., as well as provide a space for the S.H.A.P.E community to work and network.
Empower emerging adults with tools and information to make informed decisions that promotes positive health behaviors, as well as a healthy campus environment, that supports the strategic mission of the university (becoming a national leader in providing an environmentally sustainable urban campus designed to support a safe and healthy learning community).
Core Values: the 5 P's
• Passion - we are passionate about what we do and the community we serve.
• Principles - we believe that public health, at its core is about prevention. Our job is to provide information that promotes health in populations and empowers individuals to make sound health decisions.
• Peer Education - we believe that peer education draws on the credibility that young people have with their peers, leverages the power of role modeling, and provides flexibility in meeting the diverse need of young adults. Peer education can support young people in developing positive group norms and in making healthy decisions about sex, alcohol, and substance abuse.
• Partnerships - our commitment is to establish and cultivate positive, productive, and authentic collaborative working relationships with the campus community and communities everywhere.
• Programming - we are committed to developing creative and innovative programs that are supported by evidence-based prevention health behaviors and theories.
Dr. Lorece V. Edwards - Director
Dr. Sabriya Dennis
Dr. Ian lindong
Dr. Kimberly Coleman
SHAPE Community Partners:
LIGHT Health and Wellness
Sisters Together and Reaching
StarTrack University of Maryland School of Medicine Adolescent Health Clinic
Baltimore City Health Department
Morgan Community Mile