Course Implementation or Redesign
The purpose of the course implementation or redesign funding mechanism is to:
- Enhance undergraduate students' interest in STEM and social behavioral sciences at MSU.
- Increase enrollment and retention of undergraduate students in relevant disciplines of study at MSU.
- Increase the number of undergraduate students who will successfully transition into post-graduate research training in disciplines relevant to the NIH mission.
Specifically, course redesign funding supports the implementation (not conceptualization or development) of new courses or the redesign of existing courses, based on student-centered pedagogies and/or state-of-the-art educational technologies that are likely to increase student performance, retention and graduation rates, as indicated by the literature in the field. Funding for course development supports the implementation of new (preferably interdisciplinary) STEM and/or social/behavioral sciences courses, designed to increase student preparedness for NIH-relevant research and entry into graduate school.
- Course implementation: Only tenure-track and tenured faculty are eligible.
- Course redesign: Tenured, tenure-track, and full-time contractual faculty are eligible.
- Friday, August 31, 2018
- For technical assistance, please contact Dr. Christine Hohmann (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Period of Performance:
- Faculty will work on their course in fall 2018 and spring 2019, and then implement the course no later than fall 2019. Courses must commit to implement in fall 2019. Applicants will agree to give the ASCEND assessment team access to their classes for the application of pre-post assessment surveys at the start and end of each semester.
- We aim to make funds available by November 2018 for the selected proposals (contingent on NIH review and approval).
- Course proposals will be reviewed by the ASCEND program leadership, and then by NIH for final approval.
- Maximum $25,000; the budget must be proportional to the effort required and must be accompanied by a detailed budget justification.
- We reserve the right to amend the budgets of applications that are selected.
- Funding can be requested for:
- Partial spring 2019 release time to generate all teaching modules and laboratory exercises needed for teaching the course. If release time is requested, an accompanying letter from the applicant's department chair must state that the release time request is supported by the chair and, if funded, will be honored. Based on the timeline, summer salary cannot be requested.
- Supplies, small equipment items, software, or subscriptions necessary to establish and conduct the course.
Number of Awards:
- We anticipate granting 2 to 3 awards.
- To apply for course redesign funding, please complete ASCEND Form CR5.
- To apply for course implementation funding, please complete ASCEND Form NC5.
- For both applications, please complete the Routing Form for ASCEND CR and NC grants, and obtain required signatures.
- NIH requirement: for both applications, please submit your NIH biosketch.
- Email the completed form and all attachments (in one PDF file, if possible) to email@example.com.