Accessibility & ReadSpeaker
In accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and The ADA 1990, the University is required to provide equal access and equal opportunities for individuals with documented disabilities. Faculty and students have several online and on-campus resources available:
Accessibility in Blackboard
Blackboard is fully committed to delivering product experiences that conform to the highest levels of global accessibility standards. We know that a mature digital accessibility program must establish a sustainable organizational culture around accessibility. Bb Accessibility Documentation
ReadSpeaker enables users to listen to any text content or online document, providing a fully enhanced learning experience. ReadSpeaker is fully integrated with Blackboard. Features of ReadSpeaker Include:
- Document Reading: Listen to any online document.
- Web Reading: Copy text from anywhere on the web and paste it in the Text/Aid window to listen.
- Text Selection: Select any part of the text and listen to only that section.
- Text Highlighting: Have the text highlighted as it is being read and choose the colors used for highlighting.
- Text Settings: Customize the text display and formatting for more comfortable reading. Choose the text color, size and typeface.
- Screen-masking: Focus on a part of the screen for easier reading.
Create Accessible Documents & Multimedia
These video tutorials and resources are available to help you to easily create accessible course materials. To view you must login with your Morgan credentials:
- Checking your course materials for accessibility
- Creating accessible documents & PDFs
- Creating accessible presentations
- Take the Atomic Learning Course in Online Accessibility
- Adding captions to Panopto Videos
Transcription and Captioning: Videos should include captions, or a link to a transcript of the video content. It’s a best practice to work from a script or detailed outline when creating video content for your students. This makes it easy to convert to a caption file or add a complete transcript that’s available for your students to download when reviewing your videos. This is useful with:
Panopto | Bb Collaborate | PowerPoint | YouTube and Vimeo streaming video
- Atomic Learning: video and tutorials contain captions and embedded PDFs are accessible to screen readers, ReadSpeaker, and built-in browser tools. These are ideal accessible resources for inclusion in any Bb course
- NBC Learn: This service offers over 19,000 video resources with color-enhanced captions and transcripts that can be downloaded and reviewed at the reader’s own pace. From archival video from the pre-television era to today’s current events.
- Panopto Video || Camtasia Videos: Both of these products have a voice to text feature that will convert the narrator's voice into captions. You must edit the captions for accuracy.
Find Accessible Educational Resources
- Find Captioned YouTube Video
- Google Search Accessibility
- Gmail & Google Apps Accessibility Resources
Campus Accessibility Resources
The MSU Office of Student Disability Support Services provides both digital and physical resources for students, as well as education for employees.
- Website: www.Morgan.edu/SDSS
- Contact: 443.885.4768