Military Leave Policy
Students called to active service during the course of a semester will follow the options that best meet their situation before departing for active service or training:
All students called to active service on or prior to the last day to the Drop/Add period for the semester (beginning of week 2) should:
- Report to Veterans Engagement Services to speak with the Schools Certifying Official. This office is located in the Montebello Complex Room C203.
- Please provide this area with a copy of your Military orders so that the best course of action can be determined based on your specific situation.
- If your orders require more than 7 consecutive days of absence, in most cases you will be directed to elect a withdrawal from the university with a full refund of all academic tuition and segregated fees and the prorated refund of board and room fees. Under this circumstance, no course credit and no course grades will be awarded.
- Students must log in to their WEBSIS account and remove all classes for which they are enrolled in that are listed in the WEBSIS system.
Students called to active service on or prior to the mid-term point of a full-course semester (end of the ninth week) may elect to request a "retroactive cancelation" of all courses.
This will apply to those whose military dates are excessive of 14 consecutive days of absence.
- Retroactive Cancellations allow the students account to be assessed and charges related to tuition and fees are canceled, eliminating the student from any monetary debt or financial obligation to the university.
- Students who elect this alternative are eligible for a Full refund of academic tuition and segregated fees and will be prorated a refund of board and room fees with the proper approval and contract termination documentation submitted.
- Students MUST contact all supporting departments such as Office of Residence Life, Financial Aid, and Bursar for full disclosure of departure so that every area can assess their process and ensure that procedures are accurately followed to eliminate any pending charges or penalties to the student and or the student's account.
Students called to active service after the mid-term period, but before the end of the term for a full-course semester (weeks 10-12) may elect to withdraw from the university for the term in which he/she was called to active service.
- Students who elect this alternative are NOT eligible for the refund of academic tuition and segregated fees but are eligible for the prorated refund of board and room fees, as long as the appropriate cancelation documentation has been submitted for consideration, along with a copy of the orders to the Office of Residence Life.
Students called to active service after the last permissible day to withdraw from the university, as published in each semester's Academic Calendar, may elect, with the permission of the course instructor, to take the grade of "Incomplete" in all courses.
- This will apply to those whose military dates are excessive of 14 consecutive days of absence. Under this circumstance, a normal University policy for the award of "Incomplete" grades would apply.
- The time period allowed to satisfy Incomplete Contracts would begin at the date of release from enrollment and expire at the end of the close of the following full-course term.
- Students who elect this alternative are NOT eligible for the refund of tuition or university fees. All negotiated terms must be met and grades must be submitted prior to the close of the following full-course term, or students will automatically receive a punitive grade.
**Students attending a non-standard 5-week semester (Summer Session) or a 3-week semester (Winter) will be directed based on the deadlines outlined in the Academic Calendar based on university enrollment guidelines and procedures.
Students called to active service will have to reapply for admission within the Office of the Registrar and contact the Veterans Engagement Services area with their official discharge paperwork (ie DD214) showing the separation, or provide new orders showing new military assignment/location.