Coronavirus Information & Resources
A Message from the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs
March 11, 2020
As you begin to prepare for Spring Break and spending time away from the university, in light of concerns regarding the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), please review the following important information to enhance your safety and well-being:
- As announced yesterday, in advance of our Spring Break next week, Morgan State University has cancelled all regularly scheduled classes for the remainder of this week.
- Upon return from Spring Break on Monday, March 23 and for a period of at least two weeks, Morgan State University will be suspending all in-class instruction and institute remote, online learning protocols for all students. At the end of the two-week period, on or about April 3, the University will reassess the implementation of remote class instruction. Be sure to regularly check Canvas and your Morgan email for updates and more information about your specific classes and related course material.
- In preparation for Spring Break and those departing campus, students are advised to:
- To take all devices, textbooks and other essential materials required for remote class instruction.
- Additionally, please be sure to take all valuables and personal effects (such as medications) that may be needed while away from campus for an extended time.
- For students who opt to stay on campus during this time, all existing residential housing accommodations will not be affected and will remain intact.
- Please make sure you continue to monitor the Morgan State University website for updates surrounding the COVID-19 virus during the break period.
- For the latest official information pertaining to coronavirus and travel abroad, please refer to the Center for Disease Control website and the U.S. State Department's website, respectively.
- Always keep a form of ID with you at all times, this may include your passport.
- Please make sure you leave contact information for family and friends so you can maintain contact in the event of an emergency.
- Students electing to travel for Spring Break are strongly encouraged to avoid locations (domestic and international) where cases of COVID-19 have been identified. If you do visit one of these locations against university advisement, self-quarantine protocols and testing will be recommended before you are able to return to campus.
- When going out, designate a driver, use the buddy system, and travel with a group of trusted friends and/or relatives!
- Continue to practice good personal hygiene by washing your hands, avoiding large gatherings of people, covering your mouth when coughing, and if you are not feeling well, stay home!
- Think safety first, make good decisions and remember you are a Morganite at all times!
In closing, please enjoy your break and keep safety top of mind at all times.
Dr. Kevin M. Banks,
Vice President of Student Affairs