Skip to Content

Office of the Comptroller

Rental Vehicles

If an employee intends to rent a vehicle while on travel status, the estimated cost of the vehicle rental must be indicated separately, and approved on the Individual Request for Out-of -State Travel form (COMP01). The employee SHOULD NOT purchase additional insurance coverage (i.e. "Collision Damage Waiver") for travel within the United States. The State of Maryland provides insurance coverage for liability and physical damage for vehicles rented within the United States while on State business travel. The traveler should read all provisions of the rental agreement and sign the agreement indicating the 'traveler's name, Morgan State University, State of Maryland' as the renter. In summary, the State insures covered vehicles on approved U.S.A. travel if the rental contract is properly signed.

***Foreign Rental Vehicles (outside the USA): State of Maryland insurance does not cover vehicles rented outside of the United State of America. If needed, insurance is to be purchased from the same company that is renting the vehicle.