Skip to Content

Office of the Comptroller

In-State Travel

In-state travel is defined as travel to be paid by the University within the state of Maryland or the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. In-state travel does not require preapproval unless you are travelling under the following circumstances:

  1. Request for in-state hotel stay
  2. Request for in-state travel advance
  3. Using the University's travel agent to obtain a train ticket for in-state (including the Washington, D.C. area) travel
  4. Non MSU personnel travelling on behalf of the University and authorized to obtain their common carrier tickets through the University's travel agent

If your in-state travel meets any of the criteria listed above, see the Out-of-State Travel section for additional information.

In-State Travel Reimbursement

To request reimbursement for in-state travel costs, a traveler is to submit a completed State of Maryland Expense Account (GAD Form X-5) after the travel has occurred. (Please note that the Mileage rate has changed effective January 1, 2023. Make sure that you select the form that reflects the date of travel.)

*This link provides instruction on how to complete the State of Maryland Expense Account Form (GAD Form X-5)

Most of the costs must be supported with paid receipts. Some of the costs do not require receipts, but have special rules:

  1. The miles subject to reimbursement will be reduced by the traveler's daily miles to commute to their office if the miles traveled on University business replaced the traveler's normal commuting miles. The mileage rates for using a traveler's personal vehicle are provided on the Mileage / Meals Reimbursement Rates section of our website. 
  2. Meal costs for daily travel are not approved unless the traveler leaves their house a minimum of 2 hours before their daily commute or comes home a minimum of 2 hours after the traveler's normal time of coming home. The standard meal rates are provided on the Mileage/ Meals Reimbursement Rates section of our website. To receive lunch, both standards must be met.
  3. For certain travel funded with federal funds and stipulated in the grant agreement, travel expenses will be approved and paid based on the Federal Joint Travel rules and rates.

Link to the Federal Joint Travel rules:

The Office of Sponsored Programs will determine which federal grants and contracts that will follow the Federal Joint Travel rules based on a review of each contract/grant agreement's terms and conditions. If the federal grant is not approved for the Federal Joint Travel rules and rates, use the Morgan State University travel rules and rates.

The traveler signs the completed GAD form X-5, attaches the paid receipts, and forwards the package to their supervisor. The supervisor and, if necessary, other approvers, sign the expense account and forwards it to the University's Comptroller's Office or the Office of Sponsored Programs for grant funded travel. The reimbursement check will be sent to the traveler's address listed on the GAD X-5 form or directly deposited to their bank account for direct deposit employees.

Grant funded travel

For all travel expense accounts funded with grants funds, the travel expense accounts must be forwarded to the Office of Research Administration (ORA) after obtaining the various department signatures. After it is reviewed by the Office of Research Administration, the ORA will sign their approval to the GAD X-5 form.

If the completed GAD X-5 form is for a cost center approved for the Federal Joint Travel rules and rates, the ORA will stamp the GAD X-5 form, and sign and date the stamp.

The ORA will forward the approved grant funded expense accounts to the Comptroller's Office. The Comptroller's Office review of the travel expense accounts will be based upon the applicable travel rules and rates.