Advising and Registration
When should I see my adviser?
You should meet with your adviser at least once a semester to discuss your progress toward graduation and your academic and professional goals. Typically, the appointment takes place during the early registration period. This appointment also satisfies your program declaration requirement in the Psychology program.
How should I prepare for my advising appointment?
1) schedule an appointment with the adviser
2) Bring your unofficial transcript and complete the Departmental Checklist which may be found in Jenkins Room 408 and in the Psychology Majors
3) The adviser's job is to provide you with advice and guidance related to your progress toward graduation; do not expect the Advisor to tell you which classes you should take and what time of day to take them.
4) As a student user, you are encouraged to setup a profile and communications preferences, review flags/kudos raised by your instructors, find and connect to recommended and available services at MSU, and make appointments with your adviser
5) Find out from your advisor if s/he utilizes Starfish for scheduling.
How long will my advising appointment last?
The typical meeting with the adviser lasts about 15 minutes. If you have reason to believe that you will require more time, you should mention this to the adviser when scheduling.