Skip to Content

Advanced Studies, Leadership, and Policy

Graduate Student Funding


To be eligible for graduate funding, a student must, as a minimum, be admitted to and enrolled in a graduate program and pursuing a degree on a part-time (i.e., a minimum of 6 but less than 9 credits) basis. Graduate students who are pursuing less than 6 credits are not eligible for financial assistance unless pursuing thesis seminar or dissertation guidance. Assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships provided by the University or by the State of Maryland may not be used to pay for auditing courses, registration for excess credit, or for miscellaneous charges such as late fees or parking tickets.

An undergraduate average of 3.0 on a 4-point scale is the minimum average considered for awards from applicants without previous graduate study. Matriculated graduate students and applicants with prior graduate study should present a 3.0 or higher (if required by department) for all graduate coursework. All applications for graduate funding are due to the School of Graduate Studies, for continuing students, as follows:




The Advanced Studies and Leadership Program offers two types of assistantships including Teaching Assistantships (TAs) and Research Assistantships (RAs).

Graduate Assistantships require admission to the School of Graduate Studies and a minimum 3.0 GPA. The department or program in which the student will serve as a teaching assistant or research assistant may establish additional criteria for the receipt of an assistantship. Only Masters and Doctoral students pursuing a degree full time are eligible to receive Graduate Assistantships. Thus, graduate students must be enrolled in courses totaling 9 credits each semester. Recipients provide a minimum of twenty hours per week of appropriate professional service for the department or office to which they are assigned and they may receive:

- A Tuition Award for 9 credits; and
- A stipend or salary for either 9 ½ or 12 months depending on the department, program or office in which the assistantship is located; and,
- A maximum of 2 year award for students pursuing the Master's degree; or
- Maximum 3-year award for students with a Master's degree who are pursuing the Doctorate; or
- Maximum 3-year award for students without a Master's degree who are pursuing the Doctorate.
- Graduate assistantships for doctoral and master's degree students pay a stipend ($16,000-doctoral $10,500-master's) Tuition awards do not pay for university and miscellaneous fees.

Continuation of an assistantship is contingent upon satisfactory performance of assigned duties. Additionally, an assistantship (or employment arranged through the School of Graduate Studies) will be forfeited where the student: falls below the minimum credits required for the assistantship (or employment); or, is not a continuing student (i.e., withdraws or resigns from the School of Graduate Studies for a semester or more); or, changes classification from full time (i.e., minimum of 9 credits) to part time (i.e., 6 credits) student; or is placed on academic probation; or violates policies of the School of Graduate Studies and/or the University.

Graduate students pay tuition at the in-state rate only for those semesters that they hold a graduate assistant position on campus. Once the assistantship ends, the student will be charged tuition at the out-of-state rate unless the student's original admission status was in-state or a successful petition for in-state status has subsequently been filed. Students with 9 ½ month assistantships do not receive summer tuition and will be billed at out-of-state rates for summer classes even during years they hold assistantships. Among the graduate students who will not be classified as residents for tuition purposes are:

(a) out-of-state students pursuing a graduate degree part-time; and,
(b) out-of-state students who may be pursuing a graduate degree full time but who do not qualify for a Graduate Assistantship.

Being classified as a resident for tuition purposes is contingent on the students seeking such status and providing all information required by the School of Graduate Studies in order to make the determination.

All graduate students receiving assistantships, fellowships, grants, and scholarships from the University or from the State of Maryland are responsible for paying for miscellaneous charges, excess credit, and for auditing courses. Students receiving University or State support for full time graduate study are responsible, therefore, for paying for such credits, and/or charges upon registration. Students receiving tuition awards who drop courses or withdraw from the School of Graduate Studies are not entitled to fee adjustments or to a refund of tuition that would have been paid by the award. Similarly, students who withdraw from the School of Graduate Studies are not entitled to a refund from assistantships, fellowships, scholarships, or other institutional funds that may have been awarded to support their graduate studies. Requests for an extension of an assistantship that has expired must be made in writing to the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies.


Teaching Assistantships (TAs) are available to students who possess the minimum qualifications to teach undergraduate courses. Students who are awarded Teaching Assistantships may also assist University faculty in the preparation of course materials, grading tests or other assignments, or help with laboratory instruction. The availability of Teaching Assistantships depends largely on the needs of the department and/or program in which the degree program is located or the department or program in which the student is qualified to hold an assistantship. Teaching Assistantships:

- Involve 9 ½ months assignments;
- Involve teaching, assisting in grading papers, or assisting in laboratories;
- Include stipends or salaries; and
- Provide a Tuition Award up to 9 credits per semester.

Teaching assistants are regarded as residents for tuition purposes.

Applications for Teaching Assistantships may be obtained from the office of the School of Graduate Studies. Students should review the section above on Graduate Assistantships for additional information relevant to Teaching Assistantships.