Frequently Asked Questions - Winter Session at Morgan State University

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT BILLING: If you have registered for a Winter Session course and no longer wish to attend that course, you must drop the course prior to the first day classes in order to avoid tuition and fees charges. Please familiarize yourself with Morgan State University's academic policies related to withdrawal as published in the Undergraduate Catalog. In particular, note that: Students are advised that discontinued attendance does not constitute dropping or withdrawing from a class. Failure to report for any class that appears on students' schedules may result in a grade of "NA" or "F". In either case, the financial charges apply.

Q: Can non-degree or "visiting" students take winter classes at Morgan State University?

A: Yes, Non-degree seeking or "visiting" students are eligible to take classes during the Winter Session at the undergraduate level (please see the current Academic Calendar for session dates and deadlines). All non-degree or visiting students must apply for admission to Morgan State University using the online application. Applicants must identify themselves as a "visiting student non-degree." Any visiting student who wishes to transfer credits earned at Morgan State to their home institution must also present a letter of approval from the home institution or a copy of their official transcript. The letter or transcript should be emailed to   Visiting student applicants do NOT need to write an application essay.   ‚Äč(Those who wish to enroll in graduate-level courses should contact the Graduate School at 443-885-3185 for information about admission to Morgan's various graduate programs. Alternately, they may visit the "Apply Now" web page and review the section for graduate students.)

See the below screen shot to see how this information will appear after you go the Admissions web page and click "Apply," then "Undergraduate Application," then create an account.

apply as a non-degree student

Application Procedures for Non-Degree Students

1. Submit online application for non-degree enrollment.  Note that you will need to provide a letter from your advisor or your department at your home institution stating that they will accept the transfer of your Morgan credits. Alternately, you may supply a copy of your official transcript. If you need help obtaining a syllabus for the Morgan State course, please contact us at the email address at the bottom of this page for assistance.
2. Pay the  application fee.
3. Register for classes in a timely manner.
4. Contact the department or program offering the course if an override is necessary.

Advisory Notices

Non-degree or visiting students should be advised of the following:
1.  Non-degree or visiting students are not eligible for financial aid or Veterans Administration (VA) benefits;
2.  International students on F-1 visas are not eligible for admission as non-degree or visiting students unless they have permission from their host institution or are on practical training; and,
3  Non-degree or visiting students who decide to matriculate at Morgan must satisfy all criteria for regular admission and must successfully complete all degree requirements for their major including, but not necessarily limited to, orientation courses, prerequisite courses, theses, and proficiency, exit, or qualifying examinations.

Q: Are winter courses guaranteed to run?

A: No. Undergraduate courses with fewer than fifteen (15) students and graduate courses with fewer than six (6) students are subject to cancellation. Please consult with the course instructor and/or the Division of Academic Outreach and Engagement at 443-885-4694 if you have concerns about whether or not your course will be cancelled.

Q: Who can help me obtain an override?

A: You must contact the Chair of the department offering the course in order to receive an override. See the list of departments here for contact information for Chairs and their Administrative Assistants.

Q: I have been admitted to Morgan as an undergraduate student for the upcoming spring semester. May I enroll in courses during the winter?

A: Yes, but you will have to enroll in the Winter Session as a non-degree student. Please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission and Recruitment to complete the necessary paperwork. The credits you earn will be subsequently transferred to your official transcript. Please contact the Transfer Center at 443-885-3711 if you have questions about the suitability of any coursework for transfer.

Q: I will graduate from Morgan State University before the Winter Session begins. Am I eligible to enroll in winter classes?

A. Yes, but you will have to reapply for admission to the University. Please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission and Recruitment at 443-885-3000 if you have any questions about this process.

Q: I applied for undergraduate admission so I could enroll in the Winter Session. How do I determine the status of my application?

A: Please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission and Recruitment at 443-885-1000.

Q: I am a newly admitted student. How do I register? What is my email address?

A: Please review the Technology FAQ for Students and the Student Technology Resource Guide available on the Office of Information Technology's website. Once you have been admitted to Morgan State University as a visiting student, please use your username and password to log on to our Visiting Student Orientation at

Q: Where can I find information about tuition and financial aid?

A: Please see the following links: Tuition and Fees and Office of Financial Aid. Note that aid may not be available for visiting students.

Q: When will I receive my bill? When it is due? 

A: To avoid having your schedule dropped, you must pay your tuition bill before the first day of classes. 

Click here to view a detailed video outlining the five ways to pay your bill: paying online, paying over the phone, paying in person, paying by mail, or third-party agreements. For more detailed information about billing, please contact the Bursar's Office at 443-885-3108 or

Q: How many classes can I take during Winter Session?

A: A student can register for no more than two courses during Winter Session.

Q: When will Winter Session begin and end?

A: In 2020, winter classes will begin January 2 and end January 15. Final exams will take place on January 16.  For past, present and future academic calendars, please click here.

Q: When can I begin registering for winter classes?

A: Registration for Winter Session 2020 begins October 16, 2019. The last day to add a class is January 6, 2020. For past, present, and future academic calendars, please click here.

Q: What classes are being offered during the Winter Session?

A: Please refer to our Course Offerings page for details. Class schedules for each Winter Session are finalized during the preceding Fall Semester. For a list of past and upcoming Winter Session courses, see this link. (Note that the link will directed you to a live database of all courses in the catalog. Courses that are being offered will feature the word "Lecture" or "Lab" as a blue hyperlink.)  If classes have not yet been posted for the upcoming Winter Session, you may wish to view class offerings from the previous Winter Session to see what classes have been offered in the past.

Q: What online and hybrid courses are being offered during the coming Winter Session?

A:  Please refer to our Course Offerings page for a list of online and hybrid classes for the 2020 Winter Session.

If you have any questions, please phone 443-885-4694 or email

Q: How do I log in to online courses?

A:  Morgan State University uses Canvas as an online learning platform. To access Canvas, go to: and click "Canvas." For "how to" information, students may log on to the Canvas Hub. For 24-hour help with Canvas, students may dial this hotline: 1 (443) 873-0119. Faculty/Staff should dial 1 (443) 687-7595. Note that you will need a Morgan State University username and password in order to use these resources.

Q: I am an undergraduate Morgan student and I'm considering taking a course off-campus at another college/university during the Summer Session or Winter Session. Can your office assist me with this process? 

A: No. You will need to contact the Office of the Registrar for advice on this process. For more information, click this link.