CCPS Non-Credit Course Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Is financial aid available for non-credit courses?
A. Non-credit courses do not lead to a college degree; they are not eligible for the traditional forms of financial aid. However, some private lenders will help you finance continuing education courses.

Q. When is payment due for a Non-Credit course?
A. Full payment is due at the time of registration.

Q. Where are you located on campus?
A. The Center for Continuing and Professional Studies is located on the 3rd Floor of the Mckeldin Center, room 305.

Q. Can my Non-Credit courses be applied toward a college degree?
A. No, courses taken through Continuing Education are not awarded college credits. However, some Non-Credit courses may offer Continuing Education Units/Professional Development Hours (CEUs/PDHs). CEUs/PDHs cannot be applied toward a college degree.

Q. The course I want is full. Can I be added to a wait list?
A. Yes, if the course you want is already full, you can automatically add your name to our wait list. If space becomes available you will be notified via email or phone call.  We will contact waitlisted students in the order their names were put on the waitlist. No payment is made at the time of being placed on a waitlist.

Q. Are there additional fees for books?
A. This varies by course. Check the course description for information about inclusion of books.

Q. Do I need a transcript from my previous school?
A. No. Non-Credit courses are open to the general public.

Q. When should I register for courses?
A. We recommend that you register for courses as early as possible. On occasion some of our courses will not have enough students registered and we have to cancel the course. The decision to cancel a course is usually rendered one week before the course is held. Waiting to register until a few days before the course begins could cause unnecessary cancellations. Download the registration form here.

Q. What happens if my course is cancelled?
A. In the event of a cancellation, we will provide you with a 100 percent refund or option to apply your tuition to an equivalent course.

Q. Do you have a policy for students with disabilities?
A. We comply with Morgan State University Sudent Accessibility Support Services (SASS). Information on their services can be found here.

Q. What is your refund policy?
A. No refund will be given after the first scheduled class meeting has started. To receive a refund for a non-credit course that has not started, drop the course by submitting a written request by fax, mail, in person. Please call 443-885-3048 with any questions regarding a refund for a non-credit course.

Q. Can the tuition waiver benefit be used to cover tuition for a non-credit course?
A. No. Tuition waiver benefits are only available for undergraduate and graduate cousres. Morgan State University faculty, students and staff are eligible for a 10% discount on all face-to-face courses. To have this discount applied to your tuition, please attach a valid copy of your BearCard to your registraiton form.