The Center for Career Development (CCD) is here to assist you with all aspects of career planning--from identifying skills, interests and values, exploring majors and occupations, perfecting your resume and cover letter, practicing your interviewing skills, to gaining real-world experience through internships and employment. Whether you are beginning your college experience or are nearing graduation, we are your first step for all things career-related.
Below, you will find a wide variety of services and resources to help you navigate your way through the career development process.
Schedule an Appointment
Students can schedule an appointment to meet with a career counselor/advisor to discuss/formulate career plans, review resumes and cover letters, learn job search strategies, practice interview skills, investigate career options, find internships and jobs, and plan and prepare for graduate school. Contact the Center for Career Development to schedule an appointment, 443-885-3110.
Choosing a Major
Choosing a major/career is an important decision that will shape your college education and subsequent career path. When choosing a major, consider the following:
What keeps your interest and motivation?
What challenges you?
What reflects your values? Abilities? Skills?
What is a realistic and attainable goal?
Before declaring a major, you should spend time researching different majors in a variety of fields, talking with academic advisors/career counselors, professionals in the field(s) you are considering, professors and other students.
MyPlan.com helps students and professionals plan more fulfilling lives by making well-informed decisions about their education and careers. Whether you're choosing a major, planning ahead for your first career, or thinking about making a career change, MyPlan.com can help you explore options and bring clarity and insight into figuring out what's right for you. Highlights include career assessments (Personality, Interests, Values), career database, industry database, salary calculator, video library and much more...
The Center for Career Development is proud to offer its students free access to all MyPlan.com career planning services. To take the Career Assessment Tests (Personality, Interest, & Values), you need to first create an account. On the second page of registration, please enter the following license code: Q3CGZSNP and you’ll have lifetime access to the career assessments.
Click HERE for video tutorials on How to Register with a License Code and How to Take Career Assessments.
My Next Move is an interactive tool for job seekers and students to learn more about their career options. My Next Move has tasks, skills, salary information, and more for over 900 different careers. Users can find careers through keyword search; by browsing industries that employ different types of workers; or through the O*NET Interest Profiler, a tool that offers personalized career suggestions based on a person's interests and level of work experience.
Career Fairs & Events
The CCD hosts three major events each year to bring students and employers face to face to explore opportunities for career employment as well as internships. To stay abreast of career fairs and career-related events, login to your eBear account or like us on FACEBOOK.
Explore Majors and Occupations
Wondering what you can do with your major? Not sure how college, careers, and skills relate?
The staff from the University of Tennessee have created a website that links majors and careers. This helpful site lists dozens of majors and offers common career areas that follow, along with typical employers, and strategies designed to maximize career opportunities.
Keep in mind that the majors and areas of employment, employers & strategies represent typical career paths associated with each major and not a comprehensive list. Consider also exploring information and web sites from other majors to help you learn about a wider range of career opportunities.
Click HERE to access What Can I Do With This Major?
Search for Jobs and Internships
It is imperative for today's college students to participate in multiple internships. An internship connects the abstract theories learned in the classroom with the world-of-work. It allows you the opportunity to "test" out the career to confirm it is the perfect fit for you while enhancing your resume, making you more competitive for the job search.
Below are sites to search for jobs and internships:
- eBear-Students and alumni can find full-time jobs and internships, schedule on-campus interviews, and register for upcoming events.
- Athlete Network- A site to network with companies that value your competitive mindset.
- Baltimore Collegetown-Internships in and around the Baltimore Metropolitan area.
- CareerBliss.com- a free online career community that empowers job seekers with millions of jobs, reviews, and salaries, along with hundreds of career advice articles.
- Diversity Jobs-finds job listings from company career pages, other job boards, newspapers and associations.
- GoingGlobal-80,000 page database contains Country Career Guides, USA and Canadian City Career Guides, corporate profiles, worldwide job and internship openings and a proprietary collection of H1B visa employer listings.
- Idealist- Search opportunities with non-profit organizations.
- Indeed-Search for internships, part-time and full-time employment
- Intern Abroad- Want to travel Search employment opportunities outside of the United States of America
- Nemnet- Paving the way for minorities to be employed
- SnagaJob- Search for part-time and seasonal employment.
- USAJOBS- The Federal Government's official one-stop source for federal jobs and employment information.
Job Search Assistance
eBear is our on-line system for you to publish your resume, apply for internships and jobs, and participate in the on-campus recruitment program.
- Search for jobs & internships
- Create job alerts/notifications (text & email)
- Take an interest assessment (Career Finder)
- Stores resumes and cover letters in your personal account so that you can apply for positions even when you are away from your home computer.
- Career advice on resumes, cover letters and more!
- Never miss another career fair or interview! eBear syncs with Google calendar, Outlook & Facebook.
- APP instructions are sent in the eBear confirmation email. Visit eBear to create your account today!
- Download the Student Guide to eBear for useful tips! Guide includes screenshots.
Writing a resume has never been so easy. Whether you are a first-time resume writer or a seasoned alumni looking to spice up your current resume, our builder makes it simple and fun.
• Create a professional resume in minutes
• User-friendly interface that helps you choose from over 50,000+ professionally written ready-to-use phrases spanning over a thousand unique occupations (to create your bullets)
• Also comes with a cover letter builder and thank you letter builder, arming you with everything you need for your job search
Click HERE for more information.
Big Interview is an online system that combines training AND practice to help improve your interview technique and build your confidence. You have at your disposal a variety of tools including:
• Challenging, virtual mock interviews for all experience levels and dozens of industries
• A database of thousands of interview questions with tips on how to answer them
• The ability to rate and share your interview answers for feedback
• A comprehensive video training curriculum covering all aspects of landing a job
• A step-by-step interview Answer Builder for crafting answers to behavioral questions
Click HERE for login instructions.
Glassdoor is a free career resource where students have unlimited access to Salaries, Company Reviews, and Interview Questions (All posted by current and past employees!). With the ability to apply directly to millions of jobs, students can find the jobs and companies they'll love!
Graduate and Professional School Assistance
We provide graduate and professional school counseling and materials that can help you to research and apply for graduate school, prepare for entrance exams, and create personal statements and essays.
- Preparing for Graduate School
- Maryland Higher Education Commission
- Peterson's Graduate Schools
- PhDs - Find the Right Graduate School
- U.S. News - Best Colleges
The National Association of Colleges and Employers offers the most accurate compensation data available. Click here to access the NACE Salary Calculator Center.
Share Your Story
We like to hear how our students are doing so we can share your success story. Tell us about your Internship Experience or your New Job upon graduation.