Welcome to the Center for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Education (CEMSE) located in the Bannecker Building room 101. CEMSE was established in 1988 with the mission of enhancing the mathematics and science education in the State of Maryland. CEMSE offers a variety of professional development activities for teachers and academic enrichment activities for students designed to enhance the teaching and learning of mathematics and science. The following goals have been established to support the mission of CEMSE:
CEMSE PROGRAM GOALS
- Increasing the quality and quantity of mathematics and science teachers in the state of Maryland;
- Strengthening the content and pedagogy of mathematics and science teaching at elementary, middle and high school levels;
- Increasing the effective use of educational technology at all levels of instruction;
- Encouraging students to pursue science, mathematics and engineering careers;
- Encouraging business, industry and funding agencies to support public and private schools and higher education institutions in mathematics and science education; and
- Providing all students and educators access to state of the art technological resources.
The Center for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Education (CEMSE) facilitates a number of programs and activities throughout the academic year that include: academic enrichment, professional development in mathematics and science education, technical assistance with teacher certification, and partnerships activities with area schools.