MFA - Film and Electronic Media; American University
BA - Sociology; University of Liberia
Welma Campbell Mashinini Redd is an Assistant Professor of Multiplatform Production and has taught at Morgan State University since 2006. Redd, an award winning producer and filmmaker, anchored the news at the Liberian Broadcasting System (LBS) in the 1980s. From 1983-1988, she headed the Mano River Union information unit, promoting economic programs jointly implemented by its three member states: Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone.
In 2010, Redd received Morgan's African Heritage Award for co-producing the documentary, Botswana: An African Jewel, which was the centerpiece of that year's Trans Africa Day Convocation.
Redd is co-producer/director for the bi-monthly program, The African World, which telecasts on MHz Networks throughout the Washington DC Metro Area. Her team creatively fashions documentaries, interviews and features, accruing a distinguished body of works, which include:
- The 50th Anniversary, Golden Jubilee of Africa Day 2013 organized by the African Ambassadors Group in Washington, DC.
- Securing Unity, Forging Liberty: The Founding of the OAU/AU (2013)
- Botswana: An African Jewel
- African Country Profiles (screened during Africa Day 2012 for the African Diplomatic Corps in Washington, DC)
- Botswana President Ian Khama (television interview, 2011)
- Invest in Africa: A Win-Win Proposition (screened Africa Day 2011)
- Help Lift Liberia: The Liberian Diaspora
- Agnes Nebo Von Ballmoos: A Chorus of One (about an African Ethnomusicologist)
- Spirituality: Beyond Religion.