History and Mission
The Department was founded in 1932 and received accreditation by the American Chemical Society in 1955. Morgan was the fourth HBCU to have an ACS accredited department in the country. The Department has the second highest graduation rate among public HBCU's in the nation, and is ranked first in the state of Maryland in the graduation of African-American students.
As Maryland's Public Urban University, Morgan will continue to play a critical role in educating underrepresented minorities needed in this millennium. The growth and prosperity of our city, state and nation will depend upon a well educated and creative class of professionals. These individuals must be actively engaged in basic and applied research to ensure the economic development of new sciences and technologies.
As the central science Chemistry will continue to be at the cutting edge in such areas as biotechnology, material science, and bioenvironmental science. By integrating state-of-the-art research experiences into its rich tradition of teaching, the Department will be able educate and train students who can effectively compete and provide innovative solutions to the challenges of the new millennium.
Our goal is to become a premier institution in the education and training of underrepresented minority students seeking graduate degrees and careers in chemistry and it's allied sciences. We are accomplishing this by developing an innovative inquiry based curriculum which integrates research concepts and experiences into the student's undergraduate and graduate portfolio. In keeping with the University's vision to become a research intensive institution, the Department is establishing research centers of excellence in the School of Computer, Mathematics and Natural Sciences. These world class facilities are the focal point for life-long learning activities of both faculty and students.