Interim Dean and Professor
B.Sc. in Chemistry - Grambling State University, 1978
Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry - University of California at Berkeley, 1985
Microwave systems, Biosensors, Thermodynamics of multi-phase systems, Polymers.
CURRENT AND PREVIOUS FUNDING:
NSF-Research Infrastructure for Science and Engineering Grant "Development of Biological and Chemical Sensors for Bioenvironmental Research ", $1,000,000, Oct. 1 2006.
DOE "Development of Fluorescent Microsensors to Determine the Activity of Intra-cellular Proteins", $800,000, August 16, 2006.
NSF - HBCU Capacity Building Grant, "Infrastructure Building to Develop a Center for Biological and Chemical Sensors Research", $899,765, Oct. 1, 2002.
NASA/MSU Infrastructure grant, "Microgravity Chemical and Biological Sensors Center", $350,000, August. 28, 2001.
NASA - Faculty Award for Research, "Polymerization of Advanced Thermosets in Microgravity Develop Ultra Low Poss Polymers" , $199,891, August 1, 2001.
NASA/MSU Mini-equipment grant, "Microgravity Chemical and Biological Sensors Center", $57,000, May 2001.
HONORS AND AWARDS:
2008 National Organization of Black Chemist and Chemical Engineers
2008 Morgan State University Sponsored Programs
Platinum Award for Surpassing $1,000,000 in Funding
1998 NASA/ASEE Research Fellow Marshal Space Flight Center
1997 NASA/ASEE Research Fellow Marshal Space Flight Center
2001 Who's Who Among America's Teachers
1995 Who's Who Among America's Teachers
1994 Who's Who Among America's Teachers
1992 Outstanding Paper Award, The 7th Annual International Microelectronics Conference
1985 AT&T Bell Laboratories Corporate Research Fellow
I. DIRECTORIAL POSITIONS
2006 - Director, Morgan State University NSF HBCU-UP Undergraduate Research Development Program
2002 Director , Math in Science Academic Summer Enrichment Program, June 12-July31
II. ADVISORY COMMITTEES/BOARDS
2007 NSF HBCU-UP Mathematics Advisory Board Member
2007 Howard University, Center for Nanotechnology External Advisory Committee
2007 New Mexico State University, Center for Bio-Informatics External Advisory Committee
2006 MARC Advisory Council
2006 MBRS\RISE Advisory Council
III. NSF REVIEW PANELS
11/2002 Chemical Instrumentation,
8/ 2002 Math & Science Partnership
7/2002 Graduate Teaching Fellows in K-12 Education
1. Alvin Kennedy, Aron Reznik, Solomon Tadesse, Janine Nunes, Time Dependencies of Component Temperatures in Microwave Heated Immiscible Liquid Mixtures, Journal of Microwave Power and Electromagnetic Energy, Volume 43, No 2, 2009, pp 52-64.
2. Yousef M. Hijji, Belygona Barare, Alvin P. Kennedy, Raymond Butcher, Synthesis and physical characterization of a Schiff base as an anion sensor, Sensors and Actuators B, Chemical, vol. 136 pp 297-302, 2009.
3. A. Kennedy, Solomon Tadesse, Janine K. Nunes, Melanine Wyche, Microwave Heating of Two Phase Immiscible Liquid Mixtures, 39th Annual IMPI Microwave Symposium Proceed., Seattle, WA, July 13-15, 2005, pp 74-76.
4. Y. Hijji; G. Wairia; A. Edwards; M, Iwunze; A. Kennedy; R. J. Williams; "Synthesis and Characterization of Fluoride Fluorescent Sensors", Proceeding of SPIE 2004, Volume 5588, 214-223.
5. F. Oladeinde, A. Kinyua, A. Laditan, R. Michelin, M. Makinde, A. Williams, A. Kennedy, E. Taylor, and Y. Bronner (2004). Phytochemical and Anti-diabetic studies of Cnidoscolus Aconitifolius, West Indian Medical Journal, 53 (Suppl 1): 30.
6. F. Oladeinde, A. Kinyua, M. Mbagu, M. Makinde, M. Iwunze, Y. Hijji, A. William, A. Kennedy, E. Taylor, (2003). Investigation of the water, alcohol and microwave extraction techniques of Khaya Grandifoliola plant bark., The Amer. J. Tropical Medicine & Hygiene, 69 (3): 494.
1. U.S. Patent No. 5,730,922; Babb; David A.; Richey; W. Frank ; Clement; Katherine; Peterson; Edward R.; Kennedy; Alvin P.; Jezic; Zdravko; Bratton; Larry D.; Lan; Eckel ;Perettie; Donald J.; "Resin transfer molding process for composites" Mar. 24, 1998.
2. U.S. Patent No. 5,246,782; Kennedy et. al. "Laminates of Polymers having Perfluorocyclobutane Rings and Polymers containing Perfluorocyclobutane Rings." Sept. 21, 1993.
3. U.S. Patent No. 5,409, 77;. Kennedy et. al. "Laminates of Polymer shaving Perfluorocyclobutane Rings" April 15, 1995.
Sixteen Internal Dow Chemical Publications.