Thank you for your interest in Nursing Education at Morgan State University. Morgan’s Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing is built upon the five components of professional Nursing Education: liberal arts education, professional values, core competencies, core knowledge and role development.
A Bachelor of Science -Nursing from Morgan will prepare you clinically and theoretically to qualify for the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nursing (NCLEX-RN).
The Baccalaureate program is open to both juniors and transfer students who meet Morgan State admission requirements and the admission requirements for the Nursing Program. Students are admitted to the upper division clinical nursing courses following satisfactory completion of ALL general education courses and the nursing prerequisites.
Further while you will be academically prepared, Nursing is a field that demands much of those who pursue it. Long hours and the strain of working with ill and stressed people on a daily basis can make it a very difficult challenge. If you are considering pursuing this career, ask yourself if you possess some of these core qualities that nurses share.
· A Caring Nature: If you cannot care about the people you are serving, you will not excel as a nurse.
· Empathy: You must be able to put yourselves in patients’ shoes in order to give good, quality care.
· Detail-Oriented: You must write everything on patients’ chart; administer medications at the correct times and ensure proper dosage of medicines.
· Be Emotionally Stable: Nurses feel the joy of seeing a new baby born, followed by the pain of losing a long-term patient who may have become a friend.
· Adaptable: No day is quite like the next when you work as a nurse, so you need to be able to adapt to circumstances.
· Physical Endurance: Nursing requires physical stamina often requiring walking and standing for long hours. You may be on your feet all day, sometimes for 12 hours or more.
· Quick Thinker: When a nurse notices something is not right with a patient, (s)he needs to be able to make decisions quickly and put plans into action instantly.
· Great Judgment: A nurse must be able to look at a patient’s current state and accurately assess what is or is not needed.
· Hard-Working: Nursing is a never ending job. Someone is always ill and in need of aid or attention.
· Great Communication Skills: Nurses are required to communicate with each other, doctors, patients, and patients’ families on a daily basis.
If you think you have the qualities to be a nurse, please fill out the BSN Application accurately and completely and return all of the information for earliest admission consideration. Admission is only for the Fall Semester.
Our goal here is to graduate the best nurses to serve the Baltimore area, the state of Maryland, and anywhere in this country or the world.