Non-Exempt (Classified) Employees
The amount of annual leave earned for the full-time non-exempt employee is:
- 1-5 years of service = 10 days per year at a rate of 3.08 hours per pay period
- 6-10 years of service = 15 days per year at a rate of 4.62 hours per pay period
- 11-20 years of service = 20 days per year at a rate of 6.15 hours per pay period
- 21 or more years of service = 25 days per year at a rate of 7.69 hours per period
- Employees are eligible for up to 11 holidays per calendar year. Employees earn additional leave for general or congressional elections and special holidays declared by the Governor.
- Regular employees are eligible to earn up to 15 days of sick leave per year. Sick leave may be accumulated without limit. If the employee is a member of the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System, accrued sick leave is credited to the employee's service time at retirement.
- In each calendar year, a full-time regular employee is entitled to three (3) days of personal leave and a part-time employee is entitled to the percentage of three (3) days of personal leave equal to the percentage the part-time position is funded or the incumbent is employed.
Other Types of Leave:
- There are other types of paid leave available, such as: administrative leave, bereavement, compensatory, accident and emergency release which can be used by the employee.
- Paid leave is also granted for the following: military service for up to 15 work days per year; jury duty; summoned court appearances, as long as the employee is not a party to the action nor a paid witness; and up to four hours for exams and interviews within the State Personnel Management System.