Emergency Release Procedures
To provide a University-wide procedure for those persons responsible for taking appropriate administrative action leading to an orderly and prompt dissemination of information under emergency conditions and appropriate remedial action.
This procedure applies to all Morgan State University employees.
In situations where actual or potential extreme weather or other hazardous conditions arise which may result in dangerous traffic, highway or other working conditions leading to emergency release or evacuation of employees, the procedure is as follows:
- At the onset of hazardous or potential hazardous conditions, the Executive Director of Campus and Public Safety in conjunction with the Physical Plant Director will make an assessment of the campus. The Executive Director of Campus and Public Safety will make recommendations to the Vice President for Finance and Management, and after conferring with the President or his designee, will then make a decision as to whether or not the University is operational.
In the absence of the Vice President for Finance and Management, the Executive Director of Campus and Public Safety will confer directly with the President.
- Once a decision is made, the Vice President for Finance and Management or his designee will inform the Director of Human Resources and identify which of the coded messages is to be used. (See attached). The Director of Human Resources will contact the Director of Public Relations who will immediately contact the appropriate radio and television stations.
- The Director of Human Resources will immediately contact the University Police Department, the Communications Manager, the Director of Business Services and the WebMaster.
- The Communications Manager is responsible for placing the same message on the University AUTO ATTENDANT. The WebMaster is responsible for placing the message on the Web page.
The Business Manager is responsible for notifying the Food Services Director to assure proper procedures for feeding the students. A plan has been developed to bring food to the students in the event conditions prevent the students from leaving the Resident Halls.
- The University Radio Station will announce the appropriate message, approximately every 15 minutes. If necessary, employees may call the University Police Department on Extensions 3103 or 3179.
Departments with Essential Employees:
- McKeldin Center
- MSU Payroll Office
- Physical Plant
- Radio Station
- Residential Staff
- University Student Center