History Emeriti Faculty
Professor Suzanne E. Chapelle
Ph.D., M.A. The Johns Hopkins Univ.; B.A. Harvard University
United States since the Civil War; environmental history & policy; the ethnic experience in America; urban history; Maryland; the black community in Baltimore
- Maryland Government (Gibbs Smith Publishers, 2010).
- The Maryland Adventure (Gibbs Smith Publishers, 2000; rev. 2009)
- African-American Leaders in Maryland (Maryland Historical Society, 2004).
- Baltimore: An Illustrated History (American Historical Press, 1980; rev. 2000).
- A Child's History of the World, editor and co-author (Calvert School, 1994).
- Maryland: A History of Its People, editor and senior author (Johns Hopkins UP, 1986).
- Books for Pleasure: American Best-Selling Novels, 1914-1945 (Bowling Green UP, 1974).
Professor JoAnn O. Robinson
Ph.D. Johns Hopkins Univ.
20th century America; oral history; history of pacifism and nonviolence
- "Affirmative Action in the United States," in Race and Inequality: World Perspectives on Affirmative Action, ed. E. Kennedy-Dubourdieu (Ashgate, 2006), 11-42.
- Gertrude Williams, Race, and the Baltimore Public Schools (Palgrave-Macmillan, 2005).
- Affirmative Action: a Documentary History (Greenwood, 2001).
- "A.J. Muste, Prophet in the Modern Wilderness of the Modern World," in Peace Heroes in 20th Century America, ed. C. Debenedetti (Indiana UP, 1986).
- Abraham Went Out: a Biography of A.J. Muste (Temple UP, 1981).
Professor Rosalyn Terborg-Penn
Ph.D. Howard Univ.
19th & 20th century America; slavery; women in African Diaspora; African-American women
- African-American Women in the Struggle for the Vote, 1850-1920 (Indiana UP, 1998).
- Co-Editor, Women in Africa and the African Diaspora: a Reader, 2nd ed. (Howard UP, 1997).
- Co-Editor, The Afro-American Woman: Stuggles and Images (Black Classic Press, 1997).