Dr. John D. Hosler
Associate Professor; Honors Faculty
Medieval Europe; military history; history of England; pre-modern religion
Ph.D. History - Univ. of Delaware
M.A. History - Iowa State Univ.
M.A. English Literature - Iowa State Univ.
B.A. English/History - Iowa State Univ
The Ancient World; Medieval & Renaissance Europe; History of England I & II; the Crusades; the American Military Experience; Historiography; World History I & II (Honors)
Select Publications (full CV here)
- John of Salisbury: Military Authority of the Twelfth-Century Renaissance (Brill, 2013).
- "'The Golden Age of Historiography': Records and Writers in the Reign of Henry II," History Compass (forthcoming).
- "Why Didn't King Stephen Crusade?" in Medieval Mobilities from Scandinavia to the Slavic Lands, eds. M. O'Doherty and F. Schmieder (forthcoming, Brepols, 2014).
- "Gregory the Great's Gout: Suffering, Penitence, and Diplomacy in the Early Middle Ages," in Where Heaven and Earth Meet: Essays on Medieval Europe in Honor of Daniel F. Callahan, eds. M. Frassetto, M. Gabriele, and J.D. Hosler (forthcoming, Brill, 2014).
- "Military Technology in the Writings of John of Salisbury," in ACTA 2012, Technology and Warfare: 38th International Congress of Military History Proceedings, eds. D. Minchev, J. Baev, and K. Gozev (Sofia, 2013), 71-77.
- "Hundred Years War," in Oxford Bibliographies Online: Military History, ed. D. Showalter (Oxford UP, 2013).
- "Henry II, king of England" and "Richard I, king of England," in The Encyclopedia of War, ed. G. Martel, 5 vols. (Wiley-Blackwell, 2011).
- "Henry II," "Mercenaries," "Robert Curthose," "Rochester, Siege of (1088)," and "William the Conqueror," in Medieval Warfare and Military Technology: an Encyclopedia, ed. C. Rogers, 3 vols. (Oxford UP, 2010).
- "Peter of Celle," in The Oxford Dictionary of the Middle Ages, ed. R.E. Bjork, 4 vols. (Oxford UP, 2010).
- "The Norman Era," in Knights: In History and Legend (Global Books, 2009), 166-83.
- "Revisiting Mercenaries Under Henry fitz Empress, 1167-1188," in Mercenaries and Paid Men: the Mercenary Identity in the Middle Ages, ed. J. France (Brill, 2008), 33-42.
- Henry II: a Medieval Soldier at War, 1147-1189 (Brill, 2007).
- "William of Newburgh, Henry II, and the Development of English Anti-Judaism," in Christian Attitudes towards the Jews in the Middle Ages: a Casebook, ed. M. Frassetto (Rutledge, 2007), 167-82.
- "The Brief Military Career of Thomas Becket," Haskins Society Journal 15 (2006): 88-100.
- "Henry II's Military Campaigns in Wales, 1157 and 1165," Journal of Medieval Military History 2 (2004): 53-71.
- Book reviews in: Speculum; Journal of Military History; Journal of British Studies; Arthuriana; Deremilitari.org; The Medieval Review; Military History Magazine; History: Reviews of New Books