International Grad Students
Graduate Admissions Process for International Applicants
Thank you for your interest in applying to Morgan State University. At Morgan we want your application process to be a smooth transition, therefore we have prepared and overview of the process as well as important information.
The Application Process
•1. Review the program's admission deadlines and requirements by visiting the following link
•2. Apply Online at https://apply.embark.com/grad/morganstate/10/
•3. Pay the non-refundable $40 application processing fee.
The Admissions PacketIn addition to the completed application, all applicants must pay an application fee of $40. Applicants must submit one official transcript from each college or university attended; three letters of recommendation; and a letter of intent (personal statement). International transcripts, diplomas, certificates, mark sheets, etc. or copies of these documents are not admissible in the graduate admission process and will not be accepted if sent to the School of Graduate Studies. The School of Graduate Studies will only accept official course-by-course evaluations received directly from World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE).
Depending on the degree program to which you are seeking admission, you may be required to submit other materials such as GRE Scores, admission essays, portfolios, resumes, and supplemental applications. See Individual Program Listings to see if your program requires any of these additional materials.
Note: We encourage students to submit all supporting documents prior to the application deadline. However, financial and visa information may be submitted after the deadline.
International Academic CredentialsInternational Academic Credentials
International transcripts, diplomas, certificates, mark sheets, etc. or copies of these documents are not admissible in the graduate admission process and will not be accepted if sent to the School of Graduate Studies. The School of Graduate Studies will only accept official course-by-course evaluations received directly from World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE).
Evidence of English Proficiency
- An official transcript showing a bachelor's degree from a U.S. college or university, or an international college or university where English is the principal language of instruction.
- A TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) Applicants from countries where English is not the medium of instruction, must demonstrate their ability to use the English language by scoring a minimum of 550 on the TOEFL. For information on this examination, write to: TOEFL, Educational Testing Service, P.O. Box 6155, Princeton, NJ 08541-6155, USA, or inquire at the U.S. Consulate nearest to you, or visit TOEFL's website at (www.toefl.org).
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) For information on this examination, visit ITLTS's website at (http://www.ielts.org/default.aspx)
- English proficiency testing is not required for applicants from the British Commonwealth, Australia, Canada, Great Britain, West Indies, New Zealand, South Africa, Nigeria, Kenya, and Tanzania).
The I-20 process cannot begin until you are admitted to a program. You must complete the Financial Certificate Form and provide proof of liquid (ex. checking and saving) finances to cover one year's worth of expenses (tuition, fees, books, incidentals and living expenses) is required to be issued an Immigration document (I-20). Please see the Financial Certificate Form for the current year's expense amount.
- A current official bank statement (less than six months old) for each individual providing financial support (yourself and/or each sponsor). The statement should clearly indicate the name(s) of the account holder(s) and the actual amount of money in the account(s).
- Financial Certificate Form allows you to certify that you currently have sufficiant funds to pay for tuition, fees, and books for your first year in gradutate school at Morgan State University. If you have a relative that will provide you room and board in additon to full financial support please fill out an Affidavit of Support (I-134)
If you have a sponsor, the following information from each sponsor is required:
- A notarized letter of guarantee completed and signed by your sponsor.
- If you have dependent(s), please see the Financial Certificate Form for the additional financial support required for each dependent.
If you are awarded a scholarship:
In some cases, students are awarded scholarships to pay their tuition expenses. These awards are usually awarded before the applicant is fully admitted and may be used to certify support. In this case, the academic department, government agency, or employer must send a signed copy of your award letter on official letterhead to the School of Graduate Studies. In the case that the scholarship does not provide the full amount necessary for financial certification, you must provide financial documentation personally or from additional sponsors. Note: We encourage students to submit financial documents prior to the application deadline. However, financial documents may be submitted after the deadline. You cannot enroll in classes, volunteer on campus or work as a graduate assistant until you have an I-20 from the University.
If you are already in the United States, attach copies of your passport, US visa, I-94 card, and I-20/DS-2019.
If you are a Permanent Resident or hold another visa status please include copies of the Immigration documents showing your status. If you have an active I-2o from an institution other than Morgan State University, plese complete the Transfer Eligibility Certification.
5. Academic Department Approval
Each department may require specific essays or additional information such as GRE scores, letters of recommendation, a resume, etc. be submitted with your application so be sure to review the department's website before submitting your application on-line.
Submitting Your Admissions PacketAll admissions applications are to be submitted electronically via our online application system. All supplemental materials for graduate admission must be submitted directly to the School of Graduate Studies at the below address. Any other variation will result in delays.
School of Graduate Studies
Morgan State University
310 McKeldin Center
1700 East Cold Spring Lane
Baltimore, Maryland 21251
The Admissions ProcessOnce you have submitted your online application and all required documents, your application will be first reviewed by the School of Graduate Studies to verify that all of the materials have been received and that applicants meet the minimum requirements for admission. All applications will prepared and ready for review by the proposed graduate program coordinator in which you seek admission. The School of Graduate Studies will send an official decision letter once the graduate program coordinator renders an admissions decision.
For additional questions or information regarding the process and requirements for international graduate students please contact the School of Graduate Studies. If there are general inquiries about international students you may contact the University's Director of International Services Office. Or visit the weblink provided: http://www.morgan.edu/Administration/Student_Affairs/Office_of_International_Services.html