Frequently Asked Questions

University Health Center 1700 East Cold Spring Lane Baltimore, MD 21251 8:30 am – 5:00 pm 

443-885-3236 Fax: 443-885-8232

University Health Center FAQ

Can I be seen at UHC if I don’t have insurance? Yes. University Health Services will never turn you away based on ability to pay. University Health Center files claims to the Student Health Plan ONLY. University policy requires all students registered for six or more credit hours (three hours during each summer session) to pay the University health fee. The health fee supports all services at University Health Center and includes:

·     Professional services for primary health care providers, and health educators (this means no charge for office visits for illness/injury).

·     Over the counter pharmaceuticals may be distributed as needed.   

What types of payments are accepted at University Health Center? University Health Center files claims to the Student Health Insurance Plan ONLY.

Are my health records and information kept confidential? Yes. Under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA), all patients’ records at UHC are kept confidential. No information concerning a patient’s health or health care will be released to anyone, including parents, without the patient’s knowledge and consent, except as required by law or described in our HIPAA-compliant Notice of Privacy Practices.

Will UHC respond to health emergencies that occur on campus? UHC staff cannot treat anyone outside of our facility. Therefore, if a health emergency occurs on campus, you should call campus police or 911.

How can I get a copy of my immunization record? You may come to the UHC and sign an authorized release form. Be sure to have the address, phone number, and fax number you would like the information to be sent to.

How do I get a copy of my records?
To receive a copy of your medical records you must sign a Release of Information form and present a picture ID. Records will be available for pick up within 3-5 business days.

Does the UHC have a pharmacy? UHC Pharmacy is provided for students with SHIP ONLY. UHC has a dispensary where basic medications that are prescribed by UHC staff are available. Providers can write prescriptions for medications not available and for students without SHIP to take to their pharmacy.

What if I need to see the doctor & I don't have an appointment?
Walk-ins (students without appointments) are seen on a "first come, first serve basis". Students are evaluated by the nurse and based upon the severity of illness, as determined by the nurse, are either seen immediately by a provider, given an appointment for a later time or referred to a specialist or hospital. Students with scheduled appointments have priority over walk-ins, unless there is a life-threatening emergency.

Can I get my prescriptions filled at the Health Center?
Prescriptions are filled for all full-time undergraduate, part-time and graduate students enrolled in the student health insurance plan, at no cost to students, in the University Health Center when the medication written is in the Health Center's formulary. If the prescription is not available in the Health Center's formulary, a prescription will be written for the student to have filled at an outside pharmacy using the WellDyneRx prescription benefit. For details, review the student health insurance benefit plan at

Will the Health Center refer me to a specialist if needed?
Students who are covered under student health insurance are first evaluated in the University Health Center. The University Health Center serves as the primary care provider for all student enrolled in the student insurance plan. Thus, the University Health Center, after evaluation/examination will determine the student's need for a specialist. If it is determined that the student requires a specialist, a referral with appointment, date and time will be generated and given to the student. Referrals are made to specialists within the CareFirst Blue Blue Shield network of providers. Students are required to notify the University Health Center, of any further appointments with the specialist. A consultation note will be required before any other visits are authorized by the University Health Center.

Can I come to the Health Center to get tested for STD's?
The Health Center will only do STD testing if a student presents with symptoms of a given STD. If Student is asymptomatic and wishes STD testing they are then referred to the Baltimore City Health Department where STD testing is provided free of charge. Brochures with this information are available at the health center or at the Baltimore City Health Department.

Can I get tested for HIV?
HIV/AIDS testing is available free and anonymous in the Wellness Center. Please call (443) 885-4149 for an appointment and further information. HIV/AIDS testing is available free at the Baltimore City Health Department.